Help on graphics card selection etc. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 21st, 2008, 04:52 AM   #1
New Boot

Help on graphics card selection etc.

Hello everybody!

I am about to put together my new PC for HDV NLE. (The main use will be Photoshop though.)
The software I already have is Premiere Pro with Aspect HD.
So far I've been following more or less the DIY6 recommendations from VideoGuys.

I had planned to buy the PNY Nvidia Quadro FX1700 Professional Video Edition card, but started having some doubts:
- Do I really need the video breakout box, isn't HDMI sufficient?
(or are there other differences between the normal FX1700 and the PV edition?)
- Is it justified to spend that much on a card that's more than 1 year old?
- Cineform prefers Quadro to Geforce, right?

Another question mark concerns the system memory (4GB):
I plan to get a Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 on an Asus P5Q, or P5Q3 board. I've heard though, that the P5Q3 is very touchy about the memory. Should I just stick with DDR2 on the more stable P5Q instead, or will I regret DDR3?

Any suggestions that would help me to at last (have been planning this for a couple of years...) take a decision and get on with creative work will be highly appreciated!!

Many thanks!
Louis de Stoutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 08:36 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis de Stoutz View Post
I am about to put together my new PC for HDV NLE. (The main use will be Photoshop though.)
The software I already have is Premiere Pro with Aspect HD.
So far I've been following more or less the DIY6 recommendations from VideoGuys.
I can only help with a couple of your questions. I just looked at the DIY6 config and for what you appear to be using it for the base configuration should be fine.

Quote:
I had planned to buy the PNY Nvidia Quadro FX1700 Professional Video Edition card, but started having some doubts:
- Do I really need the video breakout box, isn't HDMI sufficient?
It depends upon the monitor you'll be using. If you're using a professional broadcast monitor (I believe) you'll need component out and thus the breakout box. If the monitor you'll be using has HDMI, you can go with that instead.

If you're going to be using software that relies heavily on OpenGL, then the beefier cards will speed your rendering times. If not, you can probably save some money there.

Quote:
- Is it justified to spend that much on a card that's more than 1 year old?
I'm guessing you mean a year old model. If you're worried about have the latest and greatest, that can be a misnomer sometimes. If something's been on the market for 12 months or more and has a good reputation, you should be in good shape. The caveat to that is if a new technology is coming out that will need new hardware capabilities.

However, that puts you in the realm of being on the bleeding edge. That's somewhere I don't want to be when it comes to the world of video.

Quote:
Another question mark concerns the system memory (4GB):
I plan to get a Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 on an Asus P5Q, or P5Q3 board. I've heard though, that the P5Q3 is very touchy about the memory. Should I just stick with DDR2 on the more stable P5Q instead, or will I regret DDR3?
VideoGuys have a good reputation and a lot more experience building systems than most of us so I'd trust them on this.

Now that I've said that, I find their whole config a bit curious. The build 1 system looks quite similar to a high end computer one might get at a good electronic retailer... at twice the price! Yes, it has a beefier power supply, a snazzier case and of course the video card, but 2GB of RAM? XP not XP 64? There seems to be a good bit of margin built into this system
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 07:00 AM   #3
New Boot

Thank you so much, Tripp, for having taken the time for your answer,
and thanks to the whole DVi community for being such a great source of knowledge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
It depends upon the monitor you'll be using. If you're using a professional broadcast monitor (I believe) you'll need component out and thus the breakout box. If the monitor you'll be using has HDMI, you can go with that instead.
Got it. As a photographer, and film being more of a hobby, I guess I will just stick with the normal FX1700 then.

Quote:
If you're going to be using software that relies heavily on OpenGL, then the beefier cards will speed your rendering times. If not, you can probably save some money there.
With Adobe and third-party plug-ins committing themselves more and more to the Quadro engine, this is probably the right choice.

Quote:
However, that puts you in the realm of being on the bleeding edge. That's somewhere I don't want to be when it comes to the world of video.
Wise words. Should I extend this philosophy to the choice of DDR2 vs DDR3 (P5Q vs P5Q3)? Which processes rely more on system memory than on the graphics card? I have not planned to use XP64. Is this a big mistake?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions