raid5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 25th, 2008, 08:38 AM   #1
Major Player

raid5

I just went through 30 hours of setup on a raid5 system, the initialization process is over, but now the drives dont show up on the system. even under disk management they arent listed.....any ideas on how to "enable" the raid5? I would really like to get this done so I can start editing!
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

If the raid was setup in the bios, then all you should need to do is make sure the controller drivers are installed within the os. If that is not working, then get a floppy disc utility and format the drives from MSDOS just to make sure.

If you are running 64 bit you might need to download the floppy software on a 32 bit machine to make the floppy. Try seagate or download Western Digital software utility.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 10:10 AM   #3
Major Player

thanks. my brother in law is the one who setup the raid, and I am pretty sure he set it up in the bios. I will tripple check that though.
Old November 25th, 2008, 10:24 AM   #4
Major Player

ok, it is setup in the bios. and the drivers are all there.....it shows up in device manager, but under "volumes" all the info is blank.....

I really hope I dont need to re-do the raid, 30 hours was a long wait...
Old November 25th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #5
Inner Circle

You not only need to set up the RAID array, but also set up volumes on that array. In Disk Management you should be able to right-click on the array and set up the volumes that way.

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management. In the lower panel your array should be listed. If it's different from your system drive it could be Disk 1. Right-click in the grey area and it should give you options to create a volume.

Unless you've already done this....
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I still think he needs to re-format from a floppy. That has worked for me more than once. Redoing the Raid will not help. I can't imagine why setting up raid would take more then a few minutes....that is a mystery to me.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 07:11 PM   #7
Major Player

ok, the raid was too large I guess. now they are two seperate drives and all works fine.
Old November 25th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I can't imagine why setting up raid would take more then a few minutes....that is a mystery to me.
I have a 7 x 1TB array that takes about 22 hours to initialize or rebuild in RAID3 or 5. Other RAID levels might take different amounts of time due to the type of parity, redundancy, etc.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 06:09 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Sorry, my bad. I use raid 0, didn't realize the mess involved running Raid 5. As a one man shop I could never imagine tying up my computer that long. 30 hours sounds like a bad dream.

I have a backup drive for every drive I own, but I just copy manually everthing I do as I go.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions