Editing Software Advice Please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 29th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #1
New Boot

Editing Software Advice Please

I'm a newcomer to producing digital video and need to make a decision on an editing solution. I'll be producing content for work, which is publishing/media (interviews, video podcasts, conference sessions/keynotes, etc.) as well delving into documentaries and independent film. Having shot digital photography for years, I think the editing process is going to be much more of learning curve than the taping. With Final Cut Pro, Adobe's solution as well as Avid available, any advice/suggestions on which would make sense for a person in my situation would be appreciated.

Thanks

Equipment:
Sony EX3
Rode Shotgun Mike
Manfrotto Tripod
Lighting Kit
New Macbook Pro
Michael Kushner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #2
Tourist

Hi Michael

I have been in the video business since 1992 and I have found Final Cut Pro to be very good
editing software.
Allan Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 05:34 PM   #3
Trustee

You have a short list of some of the major players. Perhaps you could download trials of each and mess about with each of them. Then you can decide which one meets your needs best.

I think that might be more valuable than a lot of people coming on here saying, "I have X and have been using it for years and am very happy."

You cannot go very far wrong with any of the three you've listed.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #4
New Boot

Editing Software

Thanks Tripp
Old November 29th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #5
New Boot

Editing Software

Thanks Allan
Old November 30th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #6
Regular Crew

A choice not that tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kushner View Post
I'm a newcomer to producing digital video and need to make a decision on an editing solution. I'll be producing content for work, which is publishing/media (interviews, video podcasts, conference sessions/keynotes, etc.) as well delving into documentaries and independent film. Having shot digital photography for years, I think the editing process is going to be much more of learning curve than the taping. With Final Cut Pro, Adobe's solution as well as Avid available, any advice/suggestions on which would make sense for a person in my situation would be appreciated.

Thanks

Equipment:
Sony EX3
Rode Shotgun Mike
Manfrotto Tripod
Lighting Kit
New Macbook Pro
Hi Michael,

Since you have a Mac, you are pretty limited for HD editing particularly if you want to edit in Full HD (which apparently is a possibility for you since you have an EX3). The new macbook Pro will still be extremely slow for Full HD editing. Moreover, Mac is out of touch with Bluray. It is painful to produce BDs with a Mac. So if I were you, I would first consider a PC with the following configuration:

- new Intel Core i7 920 processor
- CPU cooling fan (Thermaltake are pretty good)
- Asus P6T deluxe motherboard
- 12 GB Ram DDR3
- 2 x WD Raptor 10000 RPM 300GB HDDs in stripped Raid 0 for performance (you install only OS and apps on those)
- 2 x 1 TB Seagate 7200 RPM HDDs for storage
- ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
- 2 x Samsung 2493HM monitors
- 1 x Sony bluray burner BWU300S
- 1 x CD/DVD burner/reader
- Windows Vista 64 bit (Ultimate with SP1)
- Aluminium case (Lian Li for example)
- PSU

Total approx price: $3400

This is one of the 3 most powerful PC for HD editing and will allow you to edit in full HD and export on Bluray without a single problem. It will beat any mac on the market even a Mac Pro. You can buy each part on Newegg, Tigerdirect or Zipzoomfly and then build it. It is not complicated.

For the software, I would recommend Premiere Pro CS4 for editing and Bluray authoring as it supports natively the XDCAM-EX format without any conversion or rewrapping. The software is intuitive and very stable on the configuration described above. The learning curve is not steep at all. It is very easy to edit with and you can do pretty much what ever you want to do :)

PS: Sorry for my English, I am French so... :)
Kadafi Marouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 07:31 AM   #7
Major Player

I edited on Avid Media Composer for several years and loved it.

Now I use Adobe Premiere Pro, and I can do anything I need to with it. Lots of control, with a similar interface to other Adobe products.

I'm very happy with it.

I think they're all good, and you'll get used to which ever one you choose. none are lacking.

Bob
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 09:39 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Any of the Big Three and a Half (Apple, Avid, Adobe and Sony Vegas) will serve you well. As you allude to in your first post, the learning curve is going to be your biggest headache. My suggestion to you would be: decide on a platform and get some hardcore training in, either from book or DVD or online educators. Here I think you'll find that Apple and Adobe are better represented. Good luck and have fun!

PS. I'm a 10 year FCP editor (well, however long FCP has been out less 1 month) who learned on AVID's Media Composer and has dallied with Media 100 and Adobe Premiere. No time in on Vegas.
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:05 AM   #9

fwiw.....
I have experience with Avid, Premiere, Canopus Edius and Sony Vegas. After 10 years of searching for the perfect NLE, none stand out as exclusive tools. I will offer, in a nutshell, that the latest incarnation of Vegas is unstable and unworkable for HD/HDv. Premiere has more than its fair share of crashes/freezes. Edius is a barely capable, small application that has software upgrade problems on a regular basis. Edius recently kiboshed all my PACE Interlok (plugins, ProTools). Of all of these, only Avid has provided me with reliable, rock steady performance, backed with good customer support. It's rather difficult to learn, but, the reason is that it's so flexible and capable in its design. The one NLE I'm itching to learn is Final Cut. Since, I'm not a MAC user, nor do I want to be a MAC user, my opportunities to learn FCP are limited. From what I've seen, they're chronically late with new camera format updates. Not good if you keep your shooting gear up with technology.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions