Need a post solution for a series at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 30th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #1
Major Player

Need a post solution for a series

Hey guys, could really use some advice and suggestions for my project in works. I am working on a travel series (already decided on p2 and tapeless). It involves a heavy amount of traveling and exotic locations. I have decided on taking 4x2TB Lacie drives in raid 0 spec (4 separate hard drives in 2TB each).

-64gb = 1 hour of DVCPRO-HD 1080i 29.97 so we anticipate 192gb of footage a day
-shoot days are 12 days per location = roughly coming up to 1.92tb
-the 2 extra hard drives are there for backing up the originals
-a custom built Sager notebook with the latest proc/highest ram will be the intemediary for xfering the files and doing rough cuts in the field

This is my solution out in the field. We also have a workstation in our office which holds tb in raid form internally. Mobo has E-sata capability. I am wondering what a total hard drive solution will be for not only storing the 6 episodes we will shoot (raw footage) for the season.

Also, is my solution for the field a viable one? NLE is Adobe premiere cs3
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Raid 0 for storage ????

I STRONGLY recommend you NOT using Raid 0 for storage. Never! If 1 disk fails all fail, you will loose everything. Raid 1 is much safer for storage particularly with 4 drives.
Kadafi Marouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 07:37 PM   #3
Trustee

Sounds like it could. I'd agree to stay away from RAID 0. Since you're shooting tapeless, a dead drive would really put you on the back foot.

You might also look into the PC card e SATA controllers for external storage. Might be a way to speed disk access. Don't know if any of them support RAID functionality, but if they do you could invoke RAID Level 1, 1+0, 3 or 5 for an additional level of data protection. If not, you might want to investigate desktop eSATA RAIDs you could take with you.

Don't know how this might effect your footage quality since I don't work in your format, but an intermediate codec might yield smaller file sizes. Lots of people like Cineform. I don't, but you might have better luck than I.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 09:46 PM   #4
Major Player

hey guys, thanks for the responses so far:

The raid issue for out in the field is not a problem as I mentioned 4 separate 2 tb hard drives. 2 of the 2tb hard drives will be master, and the remainder 2 will be backups of the master, right in the field. I don't forsee an issue with this. I've been using raid 0 for quite a while and have never encountered any failure of any sort but I think the backup drives address that issue.

Our workstation supports eSATA, so I am on the lookout for a HUGE storage solution , any advice here?
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions