What's the best system for down rezzing HD to SD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old December 19th, 2008, 04:30 AM   #1
Major Player

What's the best system for down rezzing HD to SD?

I'm thinking of melding together a couple years of HDV footage shot with my HV20 and HV30 into a program for my local public access tv station. They require everything in SD format on a DVD.

I have PP2 and Cineform Aspect but I've been dissapointed in the down rez quality of HD to SD and was wondering if there's a better system.

I've found some long how to's on the web but I'm wondering if there's anything simple and fast out there.

Especially now that I'm about to buy a new computer and considering rearchiving all my footage.
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 05:01 AM   #2
Trustee

If you're going to re-capture the footage, down res in the camera works quite well. If you're going to down res from an HD PP timeline, that gets more complex. I'm curious about this myself as I'm facing some challenges there myself.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 01:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I find the best way of downressing for SD from HD, is to make an 720x480 mpeg2 from my NLE then using a dvd authoring program to put it to dvd. I never used the Adobe PPro timeline to dvd option because it seems to give bad results.

Other programs you can try if you aren't having any success with NLE's is a program like TMPGenc or even After FX.

Also, the idea of taking it back to tape on the HV20 and having the camera down res it sounds like a good option as well.

Best,
Andy
Old December 19th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Buys View Post
I'm thinking of melding together a couple years of HDV footage shot with my HV20 and HV30 into a program for my local public access tv station. They require everything in SD format on a DVD.

I have PP2 and Cineform Aspect but I've been dissapointed in the down rez quality of HD to SD and was wondering if there's a better system.

I've found some long how to's on the web but I'm wondering if there's anything simple and fast out there.

Especially now that I'm about to buy a new computer and considering rearchiving all my footage.
Can you send me 10 seconds worth? I'd like to try an experiment.

If your local TV station wants stuff on a DVD, I'm scared.
Old December 19th, 2008, 04:37 PM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Aspect HD is doing the down res fine it is what PP2 is doing you have to be careful of. Typically we recommend mastering to HD as a single CineForm AVI first. You can then confirm you export before going to SD. The HD to SD resize within HDLink is pretty good, if you have kepted you Aspect HD software up to date it contains a fast Lanczos 3 lobe scaler in it, and you can use it to convert 1080i/p (personally I avoid interlace) to SD. You also load the HD AVI in any other scaler, I also use VirtualDub's scaler to produce nice SD masters (slower but you get more controls.)
Old December 19th, 2008, 06:40 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
I also use VirtualDub's scaler to produce nice SD masters (slower but you get more controls.)
That's exactly what I do and it does GREAT downconversion. I don't fool with that stuff in the NLE. I also de-noise and de-interlace there when required.
Old December 19th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #7
Inner Circle

For that camera I use Cineform NeoHDV for capture, edit in Vegas HDV timeline, render final in Cineform intermediate, then render that file to the the Architect mpeg2 wide format. I then burn the DVD in DVD Architect,
Old December 19th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Andy,

What is your post-flow for using the TMPGenc software (which I have)? Should I export to Cineform AVI first, resize in TMPGenc (720x480), then output in SD (MPEG) DVD? (Also have PP2.)

Like Matt, I have some footage shot with the HV30 that I would like to downconvert to SD, then output to DVD.

Best,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions