Instant HD Software at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old December 19th, 2008, 08:41 AM   #1
Trustee

Instant HD Software

Hi everybody! Do any DV Infoers have real world experience using Red Giant Software's "Instant HD" that up-rezzes standard def to HD? I was considering buying this software in lieu of an HD camera next year. Does the up-rez look good enough?

Also, has anyone used Magic Bullet Frames 24p software that converts 29.97 interlaced to 24p?

Thinking about buying myself a Christmas present this year!

Thanks for your help. Merry Christmas! Happy Chanukkah!
Old December 19th, 2008, 10:28 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hugh:

I tried their demo a little while back, and compared it to using NeoHDV from Cineform to accomplish the same thing and using Vegas to stretch and render. While they might add some specific sharpening that you have to add manually in yout NLE, I didn't see that much benefit.
Old December 19th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #3
Trustee

I just got the MB Suite about a month ago and gave one shot at Instant HD and it crashed. Haven't tried frames yet but it's on my to do list. I'm having too much fun learning Looks.

If you read their promo material, it's clear that it does a lot of work to create an ersatz HD resolution. I, however, find it hard to believe that the output from Instant HD will stand up to real HD footage.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 09:27 PM   #4
Trustee

Hugh, InstantHD does a good job uprezzing, but it doesn't reach the quality of native HDV.

Impossible to say whether it's 'good enough' without knowing your plans for the footage, but .... probably not.

Edit: actually, it matches the quality of an unrezzing dvd player, and I suppose lots of people DO find that 'good enough' ...
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 03:04 AM   #5
Trustee

Gentlemen, thank you for your time. I guess I'll be saving my pennies for a new camera next year.
Old December 28th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Take a look at Topaz... more options

Topaz Enhance - High-end video enhancement software

it seems that Red Giant is using their engine..
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #7
Major Player

Topaz Enhance

Just a warning on Topaz Enhance. I bought it and it originally worked for me but now everytime I try and use it in After Effects it immediatly shuts down AE. I have this problem on two different computers using AE CS3 and AE CS2. Tech support has not been responsive so far and does not return my calls.

Marc
Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #8
Trustee

I, too, played with Instant HD and some other plug-ins that promise up-res. Not impressed, and i think the logical reason is: you can't put into an image what isn't there to begin with. If you didn't record the hi-res data, these programs can't create it. All they do is re-sample and interpolate between pixels and add some sharpening, as far as I can see. Bah, humbug, says I. // Battle Vaughan /miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #9
Major Player

agree with the naysayers

I've never seen up-scaled SD look good so I will only do it in very specific applications where the value of the clip, the content or comment, can compensate for the very noticeable drop in image quality from proper HD. I think the audience will only forgive it if you have a very good reason.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions