Building a computer for hd - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old May 31st, 2009, 12:06 PM   #61
Major Player

Building a Video editing PC

Hi all,

If you wouldn't mind check B&H Photo & Video for their Turnkey editing system for Premiere Pro CS4. After reading the specs. I am interested on what others think of the specs on this computer. In some ways I think it is a good system but not in other ways. Meaning I would probably add more RAM, this one comes with 3GB upgradable to 24GB. And it has (1) 1 TB hard drive. I heard that you need a lot of hard drives to work with Capturing HD video. It does not say if it includes RAID configuration. So, one question I have is does CS4 not require as much Hardware specs as CS3? In which case I might just upgrade to PP CS4 if CS4 is all around better than CS3.

Thanks,

John Gerard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sprinkle View Post
I'm looking to build a computer that I can use to edit HD footage in. I'm used to a basic Mac for all of my SD stuff, but this is a big step. What would you suggest that I look into?

Also, I'm used to editing on a mac, but I've been reading that Macs can't burn blu-rays due to DVDSP dropping the ball on that. Will I need to pick up a PC as well just for burning those DVD's? Should I make a complete platform switch? Is that worth it? I've been using FCP since 4.0 was new, and I'm very adjusted to that, but I also know that NLE's are basically the same with different cookies here and there.

I guess one of the things that I really question is what processor speed, how much RAM, and what kind of video card? I don't need a Bugatti, but I know that if I buy a used sub compact, I'll be repairing/replacing it in a year.

**EDIT** This is, of course, mainly to be used for weddings. I won't be making a Star Wars film on this, so I don't need to go that over the top.
John Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 12:27 PM   #62
Trustee

Reread # 60. It may help you.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 01:08 PM   #63
Major Player

Turnkey Video Editing System

I see that B&H has several different systems. I was originally looking at the one prices at $2899.95US.

John Gerard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gerard View Post
Hi all,

If you wouldn't mind check B&H Photo & Video for their Turnkey editing system for Premiere Pro CS4. After reading the specs. I am interested on what others think of the specs on this computer. In some ways I think it is a good system but not in other ways. Meaning I would probably add more RAM, this one comes with 3GB upgradable to 24GB. And it has (1) 1 TB hard drive. I heard that you need a lot of hard drives to work with Capturing HD video. It does not say if it includes RAID configuration. So, one question I have is does CS4 not require as much Hardware specs as CS3? In which case I might just upgrade to PP CS4 if CS4 is all around better than CS3.

Thanks,

John Gerard
Old May 31st, 2009, 01:38 PM   #64
Major Player

PC Video Editing System

Hi,

I just wondered with 17 drive what external RAID cabnet you are using? I was curious why they would have only 1 1TB hard drive in the system instead of 2 500GB drives. The only thing I can think of is if this particular system was for doing SD only work. I have gotten by in the past with a Notebook, which included one 5400 RPM drive and a external USB drive as an upgrade when I first started. I am told that one need at least 2 7200RPM drives in RAID 0 to do HDv. This among other drives is my config. and it works well. I have yet to get it to work when I try to capture HD with the Blackmagic Intensity Pro card.

John Gerard
Old May 31st, 2009, 03:25 PM   #65
Trustee

John,

I'm not clear if the question was directed at me, but the mention of 17 drives made me think so.

17 drives are all internal, 1 Velociraptor and 16 1 TB Samsung drives, plus 2 BR burners. No external drive cages, apart from a single firewire drive. I do have room for 1 extra internal disk and 4 external ones on the raid controller though. Plenty of room to grow...

As to the B&H turnkey system you are talking about, maybe you can give a link, as I have not been able to find it.

Common wisdom is to use 1 disk for OS & programs, 1 disk for pagefile, scratch & renders, 1 disk for media and 1 disk for exports, making it 4 at least. For HDV work a normal 7200 disk is fast enough, but....

the bottleneck comes when you use multiple tracks with clips from the same disk. That is when congestion may rear it's ugly head. Some people choose to distribute their source files over different disks, others choose for raid configurations, like I did.

I suggest you look carefully at your normal workflow, consider what type of source material you usually edit, what number of tracks you normally use, etc. and then calculate what bandwidth you need or like within which budget limits.

If this appears daunting, don't hesitate to ask.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions