DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   4HDV for Mac owners with HD1/HD10's is Shipping! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/14034-4hdv-mac-owners-hd1-hd10s-shipping.html)

Steve Mullen September 2nd, 2003 08:03 PM

4HDV for Mac owners with HD1/HD10's is Shipping!

After a LABOR filled Labor Day weekend, I started "shipping" 4HDV last night.

Some copies went to list members who hopefully will post feedback here. It could be awhile as the 2 Guides have well over 60 pages!

NOTE: After weeks of work, I still have not been able to eliminate the need for a Heuris MPEG-2 Encoder for those who want to record to D-VHS from FCP. I guess that's why Heuris has been able to charge $5000 for an HD MPEG-2 Encoder. :)

Also, Heuris still has not released their $600 FCP plug-in that will record to D-VHS. My hope is that they are trying to get their FCP plug-in to support recording to an HDV camcorder.

And, unless Heuris can figure-out how to record FCP EDITED HDV to an HDV camcorder, we Mac owners can't use a camcorder as a RECORDING device for EDITED productions. Of course, this follows JVC's intention that D-VHS is the correct distribution media. Nevertheless, I'm still going to keep trying.

Two last minute additions to 4HDV:

1) A Chapter on using anamorphic NTSC within an SD and HD FCP production. Now you can use the DVCAM, DVCPRO25, DVCPRO50 material you shot with your expensive 3-chip native 16:9 camcorder! Of course, you can also work with "electronic anamorphic" from 4:3 CCDs or 4:3 CCD cameras with an anamorphic lens.

2) I didn't want to buy Toast for $80! So, I added instructions to 4HDV on how to burn letterboxed and anamorphic DVDs without either Toast or iDVD. That means FireWire DVD burners are are supported. So don't Toast, burn with 4HDV!

Jose Cavazos September 2nd, 2003 08:25 PM

Steve,
I am interested in your guide, but I have PC with Premiere. I should be getting Aspect HD soon. Are you working on a PC package, or do you have your guide without the software at a discounted price?

Darren Kelly September 2nd, 2003 09:32 PM

"And, unless Heuris can figure-out how to record FCP EDITED HDV to an HDV camcorder, we Mac owners can't use a camcorder as a RECORDING device for EDITED productions. Of course, this follows JVC's intention that D-VHS is the correct distribution media. Nevertheless, I'm still going to keep trying."

Does this mean that once we import and edit the footage in FCP, we can't export or print to any format?

Does it mean all we can do is convert to 480i and burn to DVD

DBK

Steve Mullen September 2nd, 2003 09:45 PM

1) I'm thinking of something for PC owners.

2) To record to D-VHS you need one of the Heuris MPEG-2 encoders. Seems like Heuris has the Mac market locked which is why they are able to charge $5000 for one! For them, $600 is very cheap.

And anyone who's got customers for HD on D-VHS, shouldn't really find $600 all that expensive.

Of course, many of us watch HD on our widescreen Macs. No need to purchse D-VHS.

Paul Mogg September 3rd, 2003 12:03 PM

Steve. can you please summarize for us the work flow for editing under FCP with your package?, how you use the utilities etc. It sounds very interesting, and I would like to try it, but I'm not clear on how it would work exactly.

Many thanks

Steve Mullen September 3rd, 2003 01:22 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Paul Mogg : Steve. can you please summarize for us the work flow for editing under FCP with your package? -->>>

1. Capture HDV via FireWire on your Mac
2. Prepare Audio and Video for FCP
3. Real-Time Edit Using FCP 3 or 4

THEN

4. Export an MPEG-2 Movie from FCP Using a Heuris MPEG-2 Encoder to D-VHS

AND/OR

4. Export a Movie from FCP
5. Convert the Movie to an MPEG-2 HD Movie
6. Play HD Movie on a Mac or PC
7. Create and Burn a Letterbox or Anamorphic DVD

There's more detail at my site and 30+ pages in the Production Guide.

Heath McKnight September 3rd, 2003 01:46 PM

Steve,

When you order the guide for $100, do you get both 30 page + guides and the software, or just one guide?

heath

Steve Mullen September 3rd, 2003 03:02 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : Steve,

When you order the guide for $100, do you get both 30 page + guides and the software, or just one guide?

heath -->>>

You get both Guides:

* The HD1/HD10 Shooting Guide--whichg includes a Chapter on PC and Mac Editing

* The OS X HDV Production Guide

+ the software for OS X FCP users

Heath McKnight September 3rd, 2003 03:04 PM

Cool. Even though it's a nice price, I'm awaiting some extra cash to roll in. Ah, the life of a filmmaking, TV creative services producing, President of a Film Society, full time student. Man, I'm dumb... ;-)

heath

Paul Mogg September 3rd, 2003 06:22 PM

Could you expand on step 2 please?

"2. Prepare Audio and Video for FCP"

What format are you converting to?, or what preparation is necessary to enable editing in FCP?, and how do you convert to that format?

Thanks

Steve Mullen September 3rd, 2003 08:44 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Paul Mogg : Could you expand on step 2 please?

"2. Prepare Audio and Video for FCP"

-->>>

As I said before, there is more detail in the Production Guide's Chapter list on my site. And, of course, the OS X HDV Production Guide itself provides step-by-step instructions in 3 Chapters.

The bottom-line, for those who purchase 4HDV, is editing in real-time with FCP v3 or v4. Assuming you already are using FCP, you'll continue to edit in the same real-time way: transitions, filters, titles, etc.

And, while you don't need v4 to edit in real-time, v4 offers the potential for more real-time video streams than v3.

Darren Kelly September 3rd, 2003 11:47 PM

Steve,

We're not trying to kill you sales here, but rather to confirm things work.

Throw us a bone please, or get a user to post something.

We just want to be customers

DBK

Steve Mullen September 4th, 2003 01:25 AM

<<<-- ... but rather to confirm things work. DBK -->>>

Somehow, I suspect that reading more "steps" won't be a solution to your doubts. :)

<<-- ... get a user to post something.-->>

Folks got 4HDV on Monday. It seems a bit premature to expect them to write a review by Weds! I work with a product a month or more before writing a review. And, to do it right takes a lot of work--and time.

Moreover, many have been waiting to edit their HDV material. I suspect that this is their priority right now.

Darren Kelly September 4th, 2003 09:51 AM

What we're looking for is a yes it works kind of posting. I've been successful kind of posting, or this doesn't do it kind of posting.

That shouldn't take toooooo long to achieve

DBK

Jose Cavazos September 4th, 2003 09:51 AM

Steve,
How much would your HD1/HD10 Shooting Guide by itself cost?