DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Still Falling Short of Capturing Usable File (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/14068-still-falling-short-capturing-usable-file.html)

David C. Scott September 3rd, 2003 03:03 PM

Still Falling Short of Capturing Usable File

After reloading a driver, my Sony PC now "sees" my HD-1 and the Capture Utility seems to be working OK. but the resulting files can't be loaded into MPEG Edit Studio Pro Le. I can see the captured files in the proper folder but MPEG Studio gives me a message that "Cap0001.m2t" is not" an appropriate program file. I've tried recapturing several times but get the same result each time. Geez. Anyone encounter this?

David C. Scott September 3rd, 2003 03:22 PM

Sorry I'm answering my own questions but, in the interest of full disclosure, I think I'm now on the right track and editing clips. I'll be quiet now.

Raymond Krystof September 3rd, 2003 03:26 PM

Not to worry David, your not the first person frustrated by the included software.

David C. Scott September 3rd, 2003 04:25 PM

Thanks, Ray. I'm the first to admit that I've lost many of my "Windows" skills and that I may rely too heavily on familiarity with Final Cut Pro, iMovie and other Mac apps. Anyway, I'm now on my way and exporing the MPEG Edit Studio program.

Heath McKnight September 3rd, 2003 06:07 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by David C. Scott : Thanks, Ray. I'm the first to admit that I've lost many of my "Windows" skills and that I may rely too heavily on familiarity with Final Cut Pro, iMovie and other Mac apps. Anyway, I'm now on my way and exporing the MPEG Edit Studio program. -->>>

Well, I had zero luck, too, and my roomie's PC is acting funny (not from a virus) and I don't think it's from the software...

Sigh...

heath

Steve Mullen September 3rd, 2003 08:53 PM

If I was sure the KDDI software didn't crash and cause pain and suffering -- i would write a Guide for it.

It's a major job to write a new NLE and get all the bugs out. I think adding something to an exiting NLE makes more sense--as I do with 4HDV and CineForm does with Aspect HD.

Still, a free NLE isn't a bad way to start editing. Of course, you need to pay attention to the minimum PC requirements. Bringing your PC up to spec may not be cheap!

Until my hot PC comes this week, I'm running it under Virtual PC. Yes it does play MPEG-2 clips--very slowly. And, it does play audio at full speed. Quite bizarre to have Windows XP on my Mac.

David C. Scott September 4th, 2003 08:49 PM

I keep getting pulled away by other projects but, after reloading the driver (very carefully and as per the addendum sheet provided in the HD-1 package), I'm up, running and editing - although I haven't completed anything yet. I ought to start outputting back to the camcorder of a DVHS deck this weekend. It ain't FCP but, as is frequently pointed out, it was "free" with the cam.

Brian Mitchell Warshawsky September 11th, 2003 11:50 PM

Is there anything good (besides the price) that can be said about the bundled NLE?

Besides the obvious speed problems, and the fact that its not FCP 4, just what CAN it do?

Assuming you will not be compositing graphics, or making a music video but are only planning to edit an old fashioned style black and white drama, how close does this get you?

Are basic fades and dissolves possible?

Can Audio be mixed from an external source?

Thanks for any advice,

Brian

David C. Scott September 12th, 2003 03:33 PM

Yes, basic fades and dissolves are included and audio files may be imported. I still haven't had time to fully explore the software but others on this thread have. Perhaps someone will post a more comprehensive answer.

Steve Nunez September 12th, 2003 05:24 PM

?

Question:

Assuming you can save the finished project as an MPEG or whatever format you can output it to- can you save this file to external HD and plug it into a Mac running Media Cleaner and compress the file to a common mov format?

David C. Scott September 12th, 2003 06:49 PM

Good question. I don't know the answer but I don't think so. Others more in the know have said considerable technical gymnastics are required to deal with these files on a Mac and in Final Cut Pro. Check Steve Mullen's posts. Perhaps you can, in fact, do what you've described but it may not remain high def.