DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   The Best Way To Do This? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/141520-best-way-do.html)

Fred Helm January 13th, 2009 08:16 PM

The Best Way To Do This?

Im needing to preview HDV timelines on a consumer level 42" 1080p LCD. Im a Vegas 8.0 user, so what is the best way to add this monitor as preview device?

Perrone Ford January 13th, 2009 08:41 PM

Well,

There's only a couple ways to get there.

1. HDMI
2. Component
3. DVI

What inputs does the TV have, and what outputs does your computer have? If your computer does not have outputs that match any of the inputs, you'll need to buy a video card to go in your PC.

Tripp Woelfel January 14th, 2009 06:10 AM

In addition to the connections Perrone sites, many (most?) HDTVs have VGA inputs. I have a 32" TV that I use as a second monitor for my laptop and can also be connected via HDMI to the edit system.

I'm not sure about all of the differences between the way a TV deals with VGA inputs versus the other options. I know that VGA inputs are underscanned, which can have some value in monitoring video, but know if there are other technical parameters that might influence its use for video monitoring.

David W. Jones January 14th, 2009 07:17 AM

I'm not a Vegas user, but with FCP I have a system using an AJA IO, and another using an AJA Kona.

Björn Rehder January 14th, 2009 08:14 AM

At the moment I'm using a DAC simmilar to this one:

Datavideo Technologies Co. DAC-6 DV to Y:U:V / S Video / Composite Converter with Built In DV Repeater

Although it only converts to Composite & S-video it is a handy tool. I'm however eyeballing the DAC-15 which converts to component.

for the DAC-15 see this link:

Datavideo Technologies Co. DAC-15 DV (Firewire) to Component Y:U:V Converter, Y/C and Composite s

Fred Helm January 14th, 2009 10:53 AM

The TV has all the connections. I use a twin 24" set up for editing from a high end consumer level vid card. I want to ba able to watch parts of my timeline as im editing on the 42" in HD. I know there is a "preview on external monitor" festure in Vegas but that takes a 1394 run through set up. I would rather buy a card or something that allows me to use the LCD as preview monitor.

Perrone Ford January 14th, 2009 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred Helm (Post 994830)
The TV has all the connections. I use a twin 24" set up for editing from a high end consumer level vid card. I want to ba able to watch parts of my timeline as im editing on the 42" in HD. I know there is a "preview on external monitor" festure in Vegas but that takes a 1394 run through set up. I would rather buy a card or something that allows me to use the LCD as preview monitor.

Blackmagic Decklink HD extreme?

nVidia GeForce GTX285?

David Johns January 14th, 2009 01:39 PM

Blackmagic Intensity, set as preview device on Vegas should do the trick I believe.

Regards