Capturing from VHS at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old February 21st, 2009, 05:10 AM   #1
Trustee

Capturing from VHS

Hi
I have connected the video output from a VHS player to a mini DV camcorder with a pass thru facility (converts the analogue signal to digital DV signal) and then from the DV out of the camcorder to the firewire input of the capture card of the PC. When I use the moviefactory 7 to capture the relevant video I can not see the actual video on the display screen of the moviefactory. I can hear the sound though. All the relevant connections are OK because when I use the Windows Movie Maker program it works and it captures OK. Any idea what the problem might be. I tried it with VideoStudio X2 and I have the same problem, black screen.

Stelios
Old February 21st, 2009, 11:55 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Set aside the analog input for a moment... are you able to capture DV from a tape played back on your camcorder? If you've verified that you can, then try recording your analog input to DV tape first -- and then rewind the tape, play it back and capture it into your computer.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 12:12 PM   #3
Major Player

Alternatively, TV capture cards aren't that expensive, you could bypass the camera altogether.
Old February 21st, 2009, 04:44 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Set aside the analog input for a moment... are you able to capture DV from a tape played back on your camcorder? If you've verified that you can, then try recording your analog input to DV tape first -- and then rewind the tape, play it back and capture it into your computer.
Chris
Yes I am able to capture DV from a tape played back. I will try then your suggestions. I also though got this answer from the Corel Forum:

"A-D (analog-digital) pass-through conversion is not allowed in DVDMF 7 or VS Pro. This is due to the IVI capture plug-in used by Corel. It was developed by Intervideo, replacing the earlier Direct-Show for Windows, that was used by Ulead in versions up to DVDMF 5 and VS10. Corel did issue a patch for VS 11, and I think DVDMF6, however they did not carry this through to the next versions.

Since you are transferring your video using firewire, I recommend trying the free utility called WinDV. It allows transferring via Firewire only, but will allow you to get your videos onto your computer. Once you have it on your PC you can insert them into DVDMF 7 and/or VS Pro"
Old February 21st, 2009, 05:36 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyko View Post
Alternatively, TV capture cards aren't that expensive, you could bypass the camera altogether.
And the Intensity Pro has a 4:2:2 capture resolution.

VLC also has a capture feature for DV, just dump the raw data to a AVI container. (if you know how to work with VLC's stream output)
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions