EX1 & Z7 down converted to SD in FCP Workflow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old March 2nd, 2009, 10:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1 & Z7 down converted to SD in FCP Workflow

Hey Folks, I am shooting with the EX1 and Sony Z7 both are shooting 30p. I am using the FCPS 2 and was wondering what is the best workflow to edit and burn the projects to an SD DVD. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Jason LeFrense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:48 PM   #2
Major Player

I'd say edit in 1080i 29.97 and when you are finished export a quicktime reference of your cut. Bring that 1080i 29.97 QT reference into compressor and compress your m2v video and audio. Bring your squeezed video file and audio files into DVD Studio Pro and flag your squeezed track by right clicking on the track and selecting flag. By keeping your video anamorphic to 16x9 and flagging the track in DVD Studio Pro you can have your DVD play true 16x9 for computer screens and HDTV's as well as letterboxed for SD TV's. Word to the wise though old DVD players will not letterbox sometimes. I'm talking OLD though.
Also come to think of it I am not sure if you would want the interlacing to be done in Final Cut or Compressor. I'm under the impression they use the same engine as of FCP 6 to there shouldn't be a difference there.
James Brill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions