DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   FCP wont capture!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/145436-fcp-wont-capture.html)

Tim Smith March 9th, 2009 07:59 AM

FCP wont capture!!

I have recenetly come across capture issues with final cutpro/.
This is not effected by other cameras or capture settings.

I capture my material with 'log and capture' then 'capture now' and directly tranfer my material in real time from my camera in this mannor.

UNITL NOW.

When I click 'capture now', it goes to the capture screen for a second then dissapears.
very odd!!..
I have tried everything, and it appears not to be any sync issues as the camera and computer can talk to each other when scrolling through material before it is captured.

I hope this makes sense, I may be doing something really stupid, but I do not class myself as a pro, yet I do earn alot of money from video so this has caused a hic-up in my work.

Any advise or understanding would be great.
(Can it be related to low hd space....///?? I have 60G left but was the only solution I could think of.)

Tim Smith March 9th, 2009 08:01 AM

I am using a mac pro G5
-Final cut pro 5
-Canon XHA1(s)

if this helps

Mitchell Lewis March 9th, 2009 08:01 AM

Have you tried turning the camera off/on to force the computer to see it?

Can you use the camera controls to start your video playing? When you do, do you see it in the preview screen in the Capture window?

Mike Barber March 9th, 2009 04:51 PM

Did this behavior appear after making any updates to either FCP, QT or the OS?

Tim Smith March 10th, 2009 10:32 AM

In responce to previous....

Thanks for the interest in my thread..

I have tried all the obviouse techniques to get this working.
Camera on/ off - while FCP is open
Camera on/ off - while FCP is close
Camera on - then open FCP
Open final cut pro - then Camera on

Total computer re-boot etc...

Its odd....
I am able to control the camera from the capture window...both by the computer and the camera.
While I do this I can see the footage clearly in the capture window, with whatever I am doing to it.
No problems there.

Now I want to capture it....it expands to the full capture view then disappears....no error messages nothing..just dissappears...as though I never opened it.

I have not made any updates to FCP. Nothing significantly changed before this occured....out of the blue.

I hope this has helped...

All feedback is good feedback, so thanks for the interest.

Edward Phillips March 10th, 2009 10:57 AM

Make sure you have the correct drive selected for your capture scratch drive. Try adjusting the settings for playback during capture, a computer with low RAM may have issues with playback during capture.

When you click capture now on FCP go ahead and hit play on the deck as well. Sometimes it does not do that for you.

Other than that try and see if it works with a different tape or deck if you can to help pinpoint the culprit.

Mike Barber March 10th, 2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Smith (Post 1025472)
I have tried all the obviouse techniques to get this working.
[...]
I have not made any updates to FCP. Nothing significantly changed before this occured....out of the blue.

Have you tried trashing your FCP preferences file?