DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Capturing Mpeg2 Help!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/16442-capturing-mpeg2-help.html)

Edward Vydro October 30th, 2003 09:27 AM

Capturing Mpeg2 Help!!!

Hi guys, I'm new to this, so be gentle:)

I have purchased a GR-HD1. Camera is great! I like the quality .
However when I capture in HD format, to achieve that superior quality, How do I exactly capture it to my Editing soft. ( Premiere 6.5)

I had before Canon Elura 40MC, I bought a dazzle E.1394 capture card. I had no problems capturing DV format. When I connect GR-HD1, I can't capture anything in HD (screen is blank), I set the camera to MPEG2-I.link, only if I record in DV then it works.

and last question...

If i can capture MPEG2 format, can it be edited in Adobe Prmiere 6.5?

Thanks very much guys

Alex Raskin October 30th, 2003 09:58 AM

Recommended reading: this forum's Steve Mullen, Frederic Haubrich, David Newman, Eric Bilodeau, and others.

And obviously HD1's manual. You will notice that HD capturing software utility is enclosed with your camera.

Edward Vydro October 30th, 2003 11:08 AM

Alex thanks for the prompt response,

I was actually wondering if there is more advance software that will work with the HD format footage. I already have a adobe premiere, boris FX and Hollywood Fx, I would like to put them to use. How can I do that ?

Raymond Krystof October 30th, 2003 01:06 PM

Edward,

Since your primary editor is adobe premiere 6.5, I recommend looking into Aspect HD. This is a "plug in" for premiere 6.5 that is said to work very well. Check privious post on the Product and in particular posts by David Newman. Also check out their web site (use search).

Ray

Brian Mitchell Warshawsky October 30th, 2003 01:18 PM

Edward,

I am curious as to your choice of the HD1. Was there any consideration made on your part for the HD10U? Were any comparisons made?

On most forums, the JVC HD format itself is derided and even on this forum the HD1 is looked down upon in favor to the HD10U, mainly due to the low quality viewfinder and edge enhancement.

Were these issues considered in your decision?

I keep seeing the price of the HD1 dropping, so have not been able to eliminate it as an option for my purposes.

Brian

Thad Huston October 30th, 2003 02:32 PM

HDV Editing in Premiere

Edward,

Cineform 'Aspect HD' is the only solution I know of for editing your content with Premiere 6.5. There are some other solutions for HDV editing in other applications that are also discussed in this forum, but I like to think that Aspect HD is the best ;-)

You can check out our website at www.cineform.com

We have a knolwegebase of technical answers on our support site. I would be happy to try and answer any other questions you have about the product as well.

Lisa Lee November 3rd, 2003 05:02 AM

Just a gentle suggestion...if you are going to go with premiere 6.5 and use Aspect (which is an amazing program), do yourself a favor and consider what Warshawsky said about the HD1. If you are going to be spending $1200 on an editing plug in, you might as well consider a few more hundred for the HD10. Lots of threads discussing the benefits of the HD10.

As of now the only option to use premiere with the HD10 is aspect. That may change in the future as mainconcept creates cheaper plug ins for the camera.

Brian Mitchell Warshawsky November 3rd, 2003 02:02 PM

Lisa wrote:

>>do yourself a favor and consider what Warshawsky said about the HD1.>>>>

Actually, I was hoping to hear someone make the argument FOR the HD1.

The HD1 takes such a bashing here, as does the HD10U everywhere else, that when someone makes the decision to utilize the HD1 I am curious what the decision making process was, and how they addressed the most common complaints.

It might be little more than a matter of saving $500 or it may be that if double system sound is used, and the project is a one-time-only black and white feature, that the disadvantages become moot. As someone who will soon have to make some tough decisions, it is nice to hear the counter position.

Flame away.

Brian

Alex Raskin November 3rd, 2003 02:10 PM

Brian, forget the sound - HD1 has unacceptable level of "edge enhancement" while Hd10 is just fine in this area.

Like you, I first made move to save the money and bought HD1.

Unfortunately, there was much smaller number of posts in this forum at the time :) so I didn't know better.

After experiencing "edge enhancement" that makes your footage look like all curves are doing a pixel dance, I sold HD1 at loss and upgraded to HD10.

With HD10, I'm happier - at least, no edge enhancement, so one call pull a decent footage.

The instant there's another iteration of JVC or other manufacturers' camera in the same pricerange out there with FULLY MANUAL shutter and aperture controls, I'll dump HD10 for it as well.

Brian Mitchell Warshawsky November 3rd, 2003 05:22 PM

>>>>Brian, forget the sound - HD1 has unacceptable level of "edge enhancement" while Hd10 is just fine in this area.

Alex,

Actually, you will see my posts in this thread assume this to be the case.

But I also keep hearing people raving about the HD1, while others claim BOTH camcorders are to be avoided like the plague.

What I am trying to find out is whether the HD1 will actually work for my purposes anyway.

What would be helpful is if there is any A/B test (in black and white, ideally) comparing the two camcorders so that clearly the edge enhancement can be objectively ascertained.

A verbal description is simply insufficient.

Thanks,

Brian