PC/HDV editing solutions, links and more - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old May 28th, 2004, 02:26 PM   #16
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Technically in the Connect HD product that support Vegas 4 & 5. Aspect HD is a super-set of Connect HD as it adds the acceleration components from Premiere Pro.
Old May 28th, 2004, 02:31 PM   #17
New Boot

Heath,

Are you saying Vegas 5 cannot capture directly from our HD cams without the Connect HD software from CineForm?

Roger
Roger Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 02:39 PM   #18
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes and No. Vegas has no HDV capture module, but you don't have to use CineForm's (although it is the best :) ). You can still can use the KDDI capture tool that comes with the camera. I would recommend CineForm's Connect HD solution if you want higher editing speed and greater media flexiblilty (manipulate HD is any PC tool.)
Old May 28th, 2004, 02:40 PM   #19
New Boot

David,

I didn’t see your post til after I sent mine. Is Connect HD software from CineForm necessary for capture in addition to the acceleration it provides?

Roger
Old May 28th, 2004, 02:47 PM   #20
New Boot

David,

I would be interested in your opinion comparing Premiere Pro to Vegas 5.

Roger
Old May 28th, 2004, 03:02 PM   #21
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Vegas 5 and Premiere Pro are both excellent tools. PPro has excellent integration into a bigger workflow by directly linking into After Effects, Photoshop and Encore DVD -- making it have the edge for professional applications. Premiere Pro is also much more expandable than Vegas, as it provides a third party interface to replace much for the Premiere "engine". This is what the CineForm Aspect HD product does to allow for the greatest degree of HD acceleration. Vegas doesn't allow for that level of third party integration. The CineForm's tools make Vegas at least 2 times faster than not using Connect HD, whereas Aspect HD makes Premiere Pro 5 to 6 times faster. You can read more on the CineForm web site.
Old September 20th, 2004, 10:43 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Edius has a new software-only solution for JVC HDV footage for which the link is tucked away on their Edius software page: costs $1299 retail or $799 educational price.

http://www.canopus.us/US/products/EDIUS2.5/pt_EDIUSHDV720P.asp

They've also announced a hardware-based HDV product due to ship in November which could be a winning solution for some people, if you happen to have an extra $4000 lying around and a computer with dual Xeon processors and a 64-bit PCI slot:

http://www.canopus.us/US/products/EDIUS_HDV_SP/pm_EDIUS_HDV_SP.asp

One thing to note is that Canopus' approach to HDV is a bit disjointed, with separate products for different purposes and possibly no upgrade options from one to another. For example, no word of any discounts to current Edius customers for buying the HDV products.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2004, 10:04 PM   #23
Wrangler

I understand that in comparison to the original MPEG-2 HDV, the Cineform format speeds up editing and is better for compositing,

But which will give you better quality in the following situations:

A. Basic cuts, fades, and titles.
B. A straight conversion to another video format. Say SD or MPEG-2 for DVD.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2004, 10:59 PM   #24
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Michael,

First import factor, your will not see any quality lost using a CineForm intermediate compression system like Aspect HD or Connect HD. I understand that logic insists that using the native footage must have a quality benefit, but it simply doesn't in practical editing situations. The long GOP nature of the HDV MPEG-2 means even a simple cut involves a generation loss to re-render the GOP. HDV is not equivelent to DV. In the end (I believe) being able to edit in real-time allows for more create output, and therefore you will get better quality using a product like Aspect HD.
Old November 1st, 2004, 08:29 PM   #25
Inner Circle

David, I appreciate you may not be able to answer this question at this time. I am interested in how the Adobe update for HDV will differ from the Cineform product.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2004, 10:32 AM   #26
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Ron,

You will hear all about the benefits of Aspect HD soon. It is important to note that we licensed the components to Adobe in a way to support Aspect HD. We are hoping to gain many new Aspect HD users as a result of this license.
Old May 28th, 2005, 01:29 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Vegas-6 has now incorporated the CineForm Codec in the version 1.2. It allows direct capturing from the FX1.

In Addition, there are now tools available like Gearshift, that support the full work with proxy files - also in DV-avi format or mjpeg-avi Format if desired.

Wolfgang
http://videotreffpunkt.com
http://www.vegasvideo.de/forum
Wolfgang Schmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2005, 10:37 AM   #28
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Currently Vegas 6 does not include the one pass capture/conversion option that is within Connect HD. So there is still several good reasons to use Connect HD with Vegas 6.0. We have just released Connect HD 1.7 as a public beta (http://www.cineform.com/products/ConnectHD.htm) -- this includes to new automatic conversion of the Cineframe (CF24) to 24p and CF25 to 25p, along with many upgraded capture components to improve speed and image quality. Based on the recent beta peroid of Aspect HD 3.1 (now released) I would expect Connect HD 1.7 to be available for purchase very soon.
Old May 28th, 2005, 12:30 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Yes, the one pass capture/conversion/scene detection is not incorporated in Vegas-6 now.

However, conversion can be done with Gearshift too - and scene detection can be performed with AV-cutty too.

Wolfgang
http://videotreffpunkt.com
http://www.vegasvideo.de/forum
Wolfgang Schmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 02:10 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Basic tool for basic edits without Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski

But which will give you better quality in the following situations:

A. Basic cuts, fades, and titles.
B. ...
As awkward as it may sound , to edit my rushes on a lightweight machine, i often use a 50$ MPEG2 editor called Womble MPEG Video Wizard.

http://www.womble.com/products/

I supports "native" M2T files and exports pretty fast without re-compression.
May be you want to give a try to this nice little product..
Pierre Barberis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions