An open source method for exporting back to the JY-HD10 or DVHS - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old January 14th, 2004, 04:31 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Great to hear Paul! I'll put a thread together based largely on your ffmegX instructions and post it here in the near future. Did you download the latest version of http://www.celt.sunysb.edu/paul/mpeg2enc_HDTV.zip?
It contains a package installer for the library file and a readme with the ffmpegX workflow, it would be great if you can go over it and post any revisions that you see as needed.

I tried to see if there was an easy way to create presets within ffmpegX today, I didn't see anything right off the bat. I can disect ffmpegX a little by control clicking on the ffmpegX icon and using "view package contents". I dislike that the author went out of his way to obscure the program, by protecting the applescripts for example and not showing the commands that are used for conversion.

There is a program, Mediapipe for the mac which is similar to ffmpegx (except it is free and harder to use). Mediapipe is a GUI for UNIX tools but it also shows the entire list of commands that it generates so you can tweek them on your own. FfmpegX is limiting because it deliberately hides these commands.

FfmpegX isn't all bad, it is easy to use and we got it to do what we needed, still I am going to continue working on the droplet which will work without FfmpegX
Paul St. Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 04:39 PM   #47
Regular Crew

You can create custom presets in ffmpegX using "file, save preset" menu item.
Old January 14th, 2004, 05:34 PM   #48
MPS Digital Studios

Can you post those instructions up here as well? That's the link to Apple HDV solutions.

heath
Old January 19th, 2004, 10:30 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Success!!!!

Using Paul's excellent "how-to" I was able to record an edited clp back to my HD1 using my Mac and the results were great, if not excellent...

Thanks Paul!!!!

II did notice a few minor quirks but I am sure that I can work around them now that I found them...

1) I set the bit rate on ffMpegX to 17000 and I noticed that the transfer bit rate jumped from 13000 to 17500...I guess I can go as high as 19000 so I may try that on the next one...

2)there was a slight delay from the time that DVHSCap started the transfer to the time the HD1 began recording...about 2 seconds...so I will adjust and give it a bit of headway on the begining...

Things that i will work on next...

I used Motion Jpeg A when I did my export to Quicktime...i may use a different codec next time (Pixlet, or Dc30 lossless) to see if I get better results...

All of this for the awesome price of $15 for the shareware fee...too cool...

I am a happy Mac FCP/HD1 user right now...
Carlos Salcedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2004, 12:23 PM   #50
MPS Digital Studios

Cool, Carlos, sounds great!

heath
Old January 20th, 2004, 02:11 PM   #51
Regular Crew

That is great to hear Carlos! You could try higher bitrates than 19000, there should be some sweet spot between 19000 and 30000 that the camera will accept.
Old January 20th, 2004, 02:51 PM   #52
Regular Crew

That's what I was going to try Paul...I figured that it would choke up somewhere...I will do some tests and see where that is...

Thanks again for your efforts...Now I can really have a good workflow with this camera...

Now all I need is a HD capable DVD recorder and player...

Carlos
Carlos Salcedo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions