DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Hueris announced $500 Indie HD Toolkit (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/19286-hueris-announced-500-indie-hd-toolkit.html)

Thomas Ferlauto January 5th, 2004 07:22 AM

Huertis announced $500 Indie Toolkit

It seems it is still over priced, but I'll let you experts decide.

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/...=1073279685000

Christopher C. Murphy January 5th, 2004 09:28 AM

Wait? Does this mean a G4 1ghz with FCP4 will edit HDV for $500?? What's the difference between our freeware/shareware stuff and this new version by Heuris?

Someone please tell me if this is true - the "MPEG-2 encoding software" mentioned in the article is the same as the $5,000 version?

I'm confused?!

Heath McKnight January 5th, 2004 01:14 PM

It's the same thing, pretty much. The difference between the shareware and this is that it's a brand name. They're sticking their name on the product, which means they'll stick by it. Shareware isn't, so if something gets screwed, we're screwed. That's my (and others') take on it.

Will I buy it? Unknown....Money is always tight. That's a month's rent right there!

heath

Christopher C. Murphy January 5th, 2004 09:10 PM

But, I think their MPEG-2 encoder is real-time for any G4 1.25 or higher?

I'll spend the money if it does things easily and faster. Does anyone from Hueris ever answer questions on here? I know some of the other companies do and I'm appreciative of that fact.

Murph

Heath McKnight January 5th, 2004 11:59 PM

They never called me back...

hwm

Sharon Fraats January 6th, 2004 12:22 AM

Please note that it will only work on the JVC JY-HD10U at this time and there is no mention of any others that will be supported in the future.

Heath McKnight January 6th, 2004 12:24 AM

Do you work for Heuris?

heath

Sharon Fraats January 6th, 2004 01:58 AM

No I just read the same story at Macnn and Maccentral and they both mentioned the camera that it supports.

Christopher C. Murphy January 6th, 2004 08:47 AM

Isn't that the HD10U all we care about anyway? I'm sure that they'll upgrade the toolkit to include other cams when they come out. However, at this time...I can see what they're not mentioning anything else....ain't none out to support!

Hey Heath, I just got my hands on a Pentium 4, 2.26hz computer with Windows 2000!!!!!! So, I'm desperately looking through dvinfo for PC solutions...as far as I can recall, the best solution is Vegas with the HD plugin right? I'm not sure if you can point me in the right direction? Also, I can shoot you some footage up here in HD...but, we're in the middle of winter. Everything is covered in snow..

Murph

Heath McKnight January 6th, 2004 09:04 AM

Murph,

You can get me that footage (can you do it in DV on an XL-1?) in the Spring, no rush. I have two shorts in front of it.

PC--try Vegas, it's cheap; or, if you have the cash, go for Premiere with the Aspect Plug-In.

heath

Christopher C. Murphy January 6th, 2004 09:12 AM

I've got a PD-150 right now. But, I've got friends with GL-2's and I think a XL1s. It depends because by spring people run out and buy new gear! I'll figure something out.

I'll try out Vegas and I have Premiere, but Aspect is $$$...damn. Anyone out there selling a used copy of Aspect?! lol

Murph

Louis Grimaldo January 7th, 2004 08:30 AM

On their website it says if you preorder by February 1 you can get it for $399. Does anyone know if you can import into Final Cut and then export back to the camera with this software? Isn't this the last hurdle for Mac users?

Heath McKnight January 7th, 2004 08:46 AM

I'm not sure now...

heath

Heath McKnight January 7th, 2004 05:16 PM

I took a look at Heuris' Indie HD Toolkit. I compared it to Heuris' Pro Indie HD Toolkit, which is still available for $5000.

The Indie Kit has the XtractorHDV (which gets the footage into the Mac), the XtoHD (which gets it to a DVHS deck) and the XportHD (which an HD mpeg2 encoder so the footage can be accessed on Final Cut Pro--you can't buy this seperately).

The Pro Indie Kit has the XtractorHDV, the XtoHD and the MPEG Power Professional - DTVHD (which encodes the footage so you can go back to the camera--not sure how much of a difference it is from the XportHD), which is still nearly $5000.

What do you all think? Can the Indie HD Toolkit get the footage back to the HD10, or just DVHS?

heath

Christopher C. Murphy January 7th, 2004 06:02 PM

From the sounds of it...it's worthless because everything offer is free online now. Right?

Is it non-realtime editing or something? What's up with everyone out there...create a cheap Mac solution, so we can get on with our lives!!!

Murph