Apple visits JVC's factory last October? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old January 6th, 2004, 03:08 PM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

Apple visits JVC's factory last October?

I talked to Ed Sherry of JVC today, and he told me Apple visited their factory (in regards to the HD10 and HD1) last October. Avid visited in November.

What's going on? :-)

heath
Old January 6th, 2004, 04:17 PM   #2
Trustee

Ken Freed said something about all the NLE companies having specs available, so it's up the companies to add support. That was almost 6 months ago...so, I'm not sure its in their best interest to have it yet.

I've thought about this alot - I bet that DV has been such a massive money maker for everyone that adding confusion to the marketplace to soon isn't worth the aggrevation. If I were Apple and I had JUST gotten my free iMovie product to work right (finally does with iMovie 3.0.3) - would I want to suddenly confuse all these users with something new? Probably not.

However, my thoughts on the future - they will role out HDV in the same way they did with the whole DV campaign. They'll do it through marketing and technology. Remember the iMac marketing hype a few years ago? It was something like, "Now you can make the movie you've always wanted - with an iMac." Jeff Goldblum was the V.O. on the commercials. Anyway, I think the next wave from Apple will be "HD movies are here, WATCH them and MAKE them with the NEW iMac!". That iMac screen is getting bigger and wider every year! It's like 20 inches now...so, I think the next wave in 2004-2005 will be HD, iMacs, widescreen...all that jazz will be a wave of marketing.

It won't trickle down, I don't think...it'll be one of Apple's big "announcements". HD will be like the towering giant being tamed for the little people.....

What does everyone else think?? Heath?? I know you like a good discussion!

Murph
Old January 6th, 2004, 10:21 PM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

The writing is on the wall, esp. with the rumored Sony camera coming possibly by NAB. At least an announcement. If Apple doesn't get off its butt, it will be left behind. Esp. if Avid is possibly working on it. iMovie isn't comparable to us, because we are pro level editors here. Think about it. They announce new stuff all the time; do you think the $249 mini iPods are gonna confuse anyone? Doubt it highly...

It doesn't make fiscal sense.

heath
Old January 7th, 2004, 03:38 PM   #4
Trustee

Yes, but there are way more iMovie users than FCP. (imovie is on every single mac out there)

They will probably use HD editing as the icing on the cake of watching HD on their widescreen super-charged iMacs! It's their history...to market the sexy part of Macs.

I think Steve Jobs said it in a Rolling Stone interview this month...the Mac is such a small part of computing in the world. But, it is a huge part of everyone's life that has one....and that to me is taking like a media guy. If the DVD is the "fastest selling consumer device in history" - I bet Apple is wanting a piece of that world. It's already conceeded with Microsoft for the "office" space. If you look at where Apple is going...it's not in the office, it's in your home and in your pockets with gadgets.

I'm just speculating here. But, I just think that Apple wants to be our lifestyle pimp. Since movies are so incredibly huge on DVD and they weren't the forerunners of that revolution...they want in on the next wave. They have decided to master the music world with iTunes...next, I believe it's secure HD on the Apple with editing to boot with iMovie. The FCP group will get maximum overdrive editing capabilites or course...just like now in the DV world. It's a perfect business model for them...overtime the iMovie kids become home "filmmakers" as fathers and mothers....and so on and so on....generations upgrading.

Maybe I am dreaming? But, it sure looks that way to me..

Murph
Old January 7th, 2004, 03:54 PM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a movie rental that beams your rentals to your TV or computer, and can be rented at Apple's iDVDshop.com or something...Like iTunes.

I think they'll just put a plug-in into FCP first (most people are buying the HDV cameras for pro use, I believe, but I may be wrong), than put it into iMovie as the consumer HDV market grows.

hwm
Old January 7th, 2004, 04:18 PM   #6
Trustee

Yeah, I agree. At this point, Apple's iTunes seems to be a roaring success for them...and the iPod is the coveted piece of the puzzle.

I've been wondering why Apple hasn't gotten into the PDA game. If the iPod is so hot right now...why can't it contain all the juicy things a PDA has? I'm thinking that the iPod in like 2008 will be a television, movie, cell phone, PDA...cook your breakfast machine.

The iPod can't go anywhere else now...it's a perfect music player. The cell phone's out there now are playing little movies in MPEG-4....if Apple adds a PDA in late 2004-2005, then a cell phone to it in 2006, a television and movie part in 2007....every year if they add a major part it'll be the ultimate device in like 4 years! It'll completely take over our lives and Orwell's 1984 will be true! (and apple did the 1984 commercial spoof on orwell's idea!)

I think we just figured out that Apple is planning to dominate our lives in everyway imaginable....did you see the thing on iTunes that let's parents give out credits for music? So, even kids without credit cards can download music? Imagine that with, cell phone, PDA, tv and movies...all that stuff! Apple will have like 35% of everyone's paycheck before you even see it!

Obviously, this is way off topic! We ought to move the thread or kill it...............lol.

murph
Old January 7th, 2004, 04:36 PM   #7
MPS Digital Studios

There was a PDA once, The Newton. DISASTER!

Also, there's a new "version" of the 1984 apple commercial. She has an iPod now...

heath
Old January 8th, 2004, 11:19 AM   #8
Major Player

Actually, the Newton wasn't a disaster. It was the only department at Apple that made any real money when Steve Jobs stepped aboard in '98. But the Newton -- which is a far better invention than the PalmOS PDA's -- was John Scullys love child. Scully was the guy that fired Steve Jobs from Apple. Jobs emediately closed down the Newton when he became CEO. It wasn't until a few years later Jobs started talking about the Digital Hub. The Newton would have been the perfect center for the Digital Hub but Jobs would never ever admit that.

The old Newtons still outperforms most PDA's on the market. It started the PDA revolution.
Old January 8th, 2004, 11:23 AM   #9
Trustee

I bet Jobs will do PDA's soon...it's inevitable.

Murph

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions