DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   HD10U and Aja HD10A A/D Converter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/19499-hd10u-aja-hd10a-d-converter.html)

Dustin Cross January 8th, 2004 07:06 PM

HD10U and Aja HD10A A/D Converter

Aloha,

Has anyone tried using an Aja HD10A analog to digital converter to capture footage from an HD10U to an HDSDI card? Aja or Decklink? I am wondering what the 720/60p component signal from this camera converted to HDSDI would look like compared to the MPEG? Would this solve the 30p problems (i.e. convert to 24p) since we would have 720/60p?

Heath McKnight January 8th, 2004 08:17 PM

I called AJA about something else and mentioned I had the HD10. He excitedly told me about how their HD Kona Card supports it. But, Darren Kelly explains in this thread that something from JVC is also needed.

heath

Dustin Cross January 8th, 2004 08:52 PM

Cool,

So somebody has this set-up. How well does it work? Is the quality any better than what you get through firewire? Can you capture straight from the camera or do you need to convert to HDcam or similar first?

In that other post it sounded like Jeff Krebs was trying to go straigh from the JVC HD10U through the Aja HD10a to a SOny HDWF500 deck without writing to the miniDV tape at all. Did that work?

Heath - You don't need anything extra from JVC, you need the Aja analog to digital converter (Aja HD10a). That converts the component (YPbPr) Hi Def signal this camera sends out for connecting to a Hi Def television to the HDSDI signal that Hi Def capture cards (like Aja Kona HD and Decklink HD) need.

Heath McKnight January 8th, 2004 09:23 PM

Dusty,

Did you read Darren's post? He says we need something else, told me not to call AJA back. But I swear AJA said the Kona HD was all that's needed. One of us should call, esp. a serious buyer (which I'm not ready yet).

heath

Jeff Krebs February 1st, 2004 11:52 AM

Actually I was trying to take the camera upconvert and simply dub it to the F500 in the 59.94 setting. Seems pretty straight forward. I was using the AJA component to SDI to do the conversion. The image went in but there was sync tearing on the screen. I then read if I used a DVHS with firewire to do the up conversion that would work. No Go!

Very frustrated. Still trying to get an answer. Ron Groff from JVC canada is in touch with Japan.

Jeff

Darren Kelly February 1st, 2004 09:21 PM

Please don't misunderstand.

1. Remember you will need to use an A-D converter to capture the Analog video.

2. the HD10u shoots in 30 frames not 60.

3. You need big drives.

Hope this helps, but I've done it and own the T shirt

DBK

Heath McKnight February 1st, 2004 10:25 PM

T-shirt? Que?

heath