how to capture HDV for use in Windows AND Mac at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old April 22nd, 2009, 11:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

how to capture HDV for use in Windows AND Mac

I use an FX7 and have Premiere CS3 on Windows, and also Final Cut 6 (in the works of getting Premiere on Mac also).
What is the best way to capture HDV so I can use it for one program or the other at any given time without having to re-capture for each platform?

I read an old article on EventDV regarding preserving native HDV. But I need clarification...If I capture using Premiere on a Mac, will those files be compatible with Premiere on a PC?
Gerald Labrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 02:43 PM   #2
Major Player

If you have the codec available on both clients, then you can capture to any codec you have, depending on your capture software. However, I don't think, for example, a codec like ProRES422 would be available on Windows (I could be wrong...).

M2T is standard, and will (had better?) be the same regardless of platform. I assume Premiere on Apple has the same capabilities as Premiere on Windows, and Premiere on Windows edits M2T rather nicely.

Also, Cineform is publishing an Apple version of their software. You'll need to see their site for details, of course. I'm not sure if it's just the codec, or if they're doing the full-fledged Real-Time Engine.

I have heard it said that AVIs work best on Windows and MOVs work best on Apple and never the twain shall meet equitably on the other's platform. But Cineform can wrap to both AVI and MOV, so maybe the Cineform wrapped one way or the other would look just as good on both platforms...

I short, if you've got the codec on both platforms, you can use the same footage on both platforms...

Thanks,
Matt
Matt Vanecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 10:20 PM   #3
Major Player

If you're capturing on a Mac, you can download the firewire sdk from apple's website. It includes a couple of programs used to capture m2t streams to disk: DVHSCap (which I've never gotten to work) or AVCVideoCap. From there you should be able to go straight to Premiere on PC or Mac, since Premiere can handle m2t files. If you want to edit in FCP, ClipWrap will take m2t files and wrap them into .mov files without transcoding (read: no generation loss).

Side note: if anyone who's had success using DVHSCap would like to comment on their workflow and/or setup I'd love to get some insight as to why it doesn't work for me. =)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions