DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Windows 7 Rocks! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/234801-windows-7-rocks.html)

Nicholas de Kock May 6th, 2009 01:16 PM

Windows 7 Rocks!

Installed Windows 7 RC 64bit this morning, running like a dream! I think MS really got it right this time. All my software still works, the OS is extremely stable and fast, there are quite a few new improvements to file management and networking which makes life so easy, new look, sounds. If you have any doubts about installing Windows 7, just do it and throw Vista away, or burn it!

Best part, thumbnail icon support for video codec's we work in! :)

Nicholas de Kock May 8th, 2009 08:11 AM

After running for a few days best OS I've worked on from MS, Mac has some real competition now IMO.

Bill Ravens May 8th, 2009 10:56 AM

Just installed Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit. After 1 day of use, it seems rock stable.......using Avid media Composer v3.5. Needed to d/l the just released nVidia FX1700 driver for 64 bit win7, but, otherwise everything seems really nice...and much faster.

Rick L. Allen May 8th, 2009 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicholas de Kock (Post 1139769)
After running for a few days best OS I've worked on from MS, Mac has some real competition now IMO.

Yep, once you exclude viruses, hardware incompatibilities, drivers that don't work, the lack of backwards compatibility in the OS, etc. Mac might have competition. Write back in a week when your computer is locked up and tell us how it's going.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicholas de Kock (Post 1139769)
thumbnail icon support for video codec's we work in! :)

Wow! Mac's have had that for how long...?

Nicholas de Kock May 8th, 2009 02:46 PM

Rick I respect both MS & Mac, the OS is merely a tool used by us to produce, I work on both. Both Mac's & PC's have limitations lets not compare either. Windows core is open to developers, Mac's not, you get stability in the Mac because everything is very controlled, Windows is open to any one which offers a wider scope however also opens up the playground to virus developers. Bottom line this thread is here to point out the stability of Windows 7, Vista was a blunder, I'm glad MS got it right with W7. XP had thumbnail support however Vista somehow managed to screw this up, merely one of the many things.

Bill Ravens May 8th, 2009 03:00 PM

OK, you guys...DVINFO doesn't permit platform war (arguments)...so it's time to let it go. If an OS works for you, it's good. If you need to defend your choice, that's not so good. They all have their merits and their weaknesses.

The subject of this thread is Windows 7 64 bit. Please keep it on topic.

Pete Bauer May 8th, 2009 03:46 PM

Thanks, Bill. You got to it before I did.

Any and all: Threads like this do usually, unfortunately, end up as platform wars that we have to then deal with. Save the platform jokes for other sites, even if you think it is harmless...it's not because people WILL launch over the jokes. Save the Mac Fanboy comments for other sites...we mods really don't want to crush your posts and possibly your account like grapes but we will do so as necessary.

We DON'T CARE what you think of your Mac in this thread because it isn't ABOUT your Mac. Please keep the discussion on factual user experience of the Win7 RC. If you have factual info about something Mac to share, go to those fora. If there is a worthwhile feature comparison between Mac's OS'es and Win7, ok, fair enough; just do so in a reasonably objective way.

Like many people, no doubt, I'm really looking forward to giving Win7 a try soon so would like high signal, low noise. Thank you for behaving.

Matt Vanecek May 8th, 2009 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicholas de Kock (Post 1138722)
Installed Windows 7 RC 64bit this morning, running like a dream! I think MS really got it right this time. All my software still works, the OS is extremely stable and fast, there are quite a few new improvements to file management and networking which makes life so easy, new look, sounds. If you have any doubts about installing Windows 7, just do it and throw Vista away, or burn it!

Best part, thumbnail icon support for video codec's we work in! :)

Nicholas,
Did you install on top of a previous OS (Vista, XP), or was this a fresh install? I want to just upgrade Vista 64 to Windows 7 in place, without having to wipe/reinstall all my apps. The Windows 7 docs say I can do that, but I'm interested if you did it that way yourself.

Thanks,
Matt

Nicholas de Kock May 10th, 2009 09:38 AM

Matt I did a clean install, I usually don't like upgrades as there is always problems involved when done this way, if you do an upgrade I'd be interested to know how it works for you.

Bill Ravens May 10th, 2009 09:55 AM

I might be wrong, but, I don't think Win7 allows an upgrade. You must install a fresh installation.

Jeff Anselmo May 10th, 2009 10:37 AM

Hi Nicholas,

Good to hear that Win 7 is running good for you. What NLE are you running with it? What about your third party plug ins? Encoding, transcoding, exporting--any problems? Are they all stable?

(Gotta learn about Win 7, and maybe sell my still un-used, un-opened Business Vista64 :)

Best,

Nicholas de Kock May 10th, 2009 03:55 PM

Jeff I'm editing in Sony Vegas Pro 8c and CS4, so far (full week up time without restart) plugin's all working I still have to experience a program crash. It's apparent from installation that this system "feels" stable. I would sell that Vista copy, Microsoft is going to bury and distance themselves from Vista once W7 goes retail. Only problem I've had so far with W7 is on my 4 year old notebook, the keyboard won't work with W7.

Matt Vanecek May 10th, 2009 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ravens (Post 1140762)
I might be wrong, but, I don't think Win7 allows an upgrade. You must install a fresh installation.

The documentation says upgrades are the normal path, unless you have the Win7 beta installed. If you have Win7 beta, then you have to do a clean install.

I may just take a ghost image and try it out, next weekend.

Thanks,
Matt

Jeff Anselmo May 11th, 2009 11:12 AM

Hi Nicholas,

Thanks for the info. I'm currently running WinXPPro, with Adobe CS2, on a recently built i7, 6Gig Ram, system! (I had initial problems after installing CS2 and the plug ins into the system, but have everything working okay at the moment--crossing fingers!)

I was going to upgrade to CS4, but needed Cineform to update to CS4, so my Vista 64bit is still unopened. So I think I'm going to wait a bit until Cineform sorts itself out with CS4, then decide whether or not to install Vista. (And I've read from some other posters that CS4 is working well with their Vista64bit systems.)

I don't think I'll install Win7 RC yet, as we have too many projects to work on at the moment, but it's good to know that Win 7 will work with CS4!

Best,

Joe Busch May 11th, 2009 07:29 PM

Only problem I had with Windows7 was Firefox crashing/locking up... and it was missing my printer drivers, Brother wouldn't help me cause it wasn't actually released yet, so I said give me the Vista drivers but they wouldn't do that. So I just loaded up my Vista64 install off WHS (Windows Home Server) from a backup 2 days before I formatted and installed Windows7... took ~45 minutes to restore 200GB of data over gigabit.

But I think someone else pointed out to me if you use the Windows Update button when you're picking drivers... Microsoft will download more drivers for you, but doesn't do it with a default installation (Saves space for thousands of printer drivers you don't need).

I think you should consider Vista64 Jeff... if you're using XP Pro 32bit with 6GB of ram and an I7 you're really holding back performance.. A.) it's not even using much more than 3GB of ram... and B.) it's just a lot slower... Vista 64 is 100x more stable than XP 64 honestly... I'm running 8GB of ram and I let Vegas 8.1 (64bit) use up 5-6GB of it, with Mutli-core rendering enabled I get full 720p playback at 29.97 on Good (Full) with HDV .m2t files... and effects on top of that (Multi-core rendering off, I get 8-12fps on the same clips)...

I wouldn't recommend doing it in the middle of projects or on a main machine, but definitely try it out and "migrate" to it... cause Vista64 is the best Windows OS out... as long as you have a decent system. (Mine is not even worth $1,000 anymore but it's still faster than any home computer you'd buy in that price-range from Dell or HP).

I think I'll move to Windows7 once it's released, which actually looks to be next fall so it won't be too long :)