View HD video during capture, any programs for this? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old May 8th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #1
Major Player

View HD video during capture, any programs for this?

Does anybody know of any Capturing software that will allow you to view the HD video as you're capturing it like Adobe Premiere Pro does with SD video? (HDV Split doesn't)

I am so mad at CS4 for not being able to do this but I understand that most HD vets are already over it.

HDV Split does not seem to be able to do this, I don't want to capture the whole tape.

If an actor shoots 15 takes I only want to capture the one or two that look the best ya know.

Please let me know.

PS: I know you can watch the camera monitor during capture or another ext monitor but that's lame:(
Danny Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 09:00 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Danny.........

Ulead Video Studio has done this for ages. Not a bad little NLE system either.

I'm sure there are others.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Ulead Video Studio has done this for ages. Not a bad little NLE system either.

I'm sure there are others.

CS
Well I just downloaded and tried the newest Trial (Fully Functional) version of Ulead Video Studio Pro2 (Apparently now or formally owned by Corel), but unfortunatly it wouldn't even show my video much less capture it. It did operate and identify the camera (Canon XH A1s) but it kept saying "Can't engage Capture". Both Adobe PP and even Microsoft Movie maker will capture, just without showing the video while doing so.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

BTW, in case you're wondering, I have a brand new computer with a Pentium 2.6 duel core processor and 6 Gigs ram. All the most updated QT, WMP and Real Player.
Old May 9th, 2009, 03:36 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Well.............

It doesn't really matter whether you have the latest "all singing, all dancing" pc or an old clunker that should have seen the tip a long time ago, if it doesn't work, don't blame the software.

Ulead does work, just doesn't with yours.

There's obviously an incompatabilty that needs to be sorted, which is way beyond the scope of this thread.

My suggestion would be "Don't shoot the messanger" and fix the incompatibility.

Ulead will work on just about anything that has a processor younger than 10 years ago (now, that's old!), so if you have problems with it, it ain't Uleads fault.

Oh, BTW, if you're trying to capture HD, I don't think even the top of the line freebie will do that (with good reason).

If that's the reason for it not working, don't think you can blame anyone but yourself.

RTFM for freebies.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Oh, BTW, if you're trying to capture HD, I don't think even the top of the line freebie will do that (with good reason).
I was clearly talking about HD Capture, it's in my topic title. "View HD video during capture". I'm sure ulead would have worked if it was SD.

No need to get offended Chris, I wasn't complaining about your suggestion, I'm just still ticked that CS4 will not continue to show the HD video while you're capturing it like it does with SD.

My problem is NOT with capturing HD (CS4 PP captures it fine) my problem is not seeing the video while it's capturing.

Again, thanks for your suggestion Chris, not mad at the messanger at all;)
Old May 9th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #6
Trustee

With modern day computers this is a lame argument, but back in the Middle Ages, when computers were not that powerfull, it took just too much power from the CPU to decode a HDV stream during capture and display it on the screen at the same time. This may still hold for a number of notebooks, where disk setup is often the bottleneck. This may have been the reason for that omission. However, your argument about 15 takes of one actor and only wanting the capture the correct one will usually amount to capturing the last take. When it was good, you move on to the next shot, right? So often the last take will be the best. If it wasn't and you went on to the next shot, why not, during shooting, delete the last take? That would solve your issue here. Even if it does not, what is the problem with capturing with HDVSplit and afterwards delete the takes you don't want.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm Millaard View Post
what is the problem with capturing with HDVSplit and afterwards delete the takes you don't want.
Well I could do that in my CS4 Premire pro, call me crazy but I just like seeing the video while it's being captured.

I know that there a lot of people mad at adobe for this as I am. My actor axample was just one example, there are many more reasons than that.

But I thank you for your input Harm;)
Old May 9th, 2009, 12:26 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Well, Harm's right, as he usually is, but in any event the point is moot; you don't need to view the footage *while* capturing, only before, as you go through your tape and decide which takes are best, then mark the in and out points and do a batch capture, during which you walk away and have a cup of coffee.

But if you absolutely *must* watch the process as it captures, do what the pros do: get a small HDTV and hook it directly to your camcorder or capture deck. You need this to judge focus anyway as the preview screen in the capture window is too small to do this effectively. It's not "lame," it's professional. With small HDTV prices so low these days there's no reason not to do this.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks Adam,

As I said I know all the other options, it just seems so unessasary that they changed it for HD when it's so convinient to have all the buttons and viewing screen all on one screen.

I'll probablly just use my external 9 inch moniter that I use during a shoot, but in an already small and cramped video room it will be just a little more space that I'll need to make for it.

Bare with me, I'll be over this my next week, it just caught me by surprize yesterday when I tried capturing HD with my new cam for the 1st time.

Oh, and I found out last night from an Adobe insider that the CS4.1 update WILL go back to this feature by the end of May, so I hope that's true.

Last edited by Danny Winn; May 9th, 2009 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Added another line
Old May 13th, 2009, 06:36 AM   #10
Major Player

Sony Vegas allows you to watch the HD video while capturing since version 7. The software is not my favourite video editing solution, but this one option (previewing HD during capture) is very-very useful. Not only that, but it remains stable during the process even when you are working with other software in the background (although I wouldn't dare to do video editing at the same time). For HD preview, try Vegas and you will be satisfied.

Edit: I hope you mean HDV, because that is the one format I was talking about, based on the reference of HDV split. :)
Dimitris Mantalias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Supposedly, you can preview while capturing using HDVsplit, if you set it up right, but I've never been able to get it to work. Edius allows preview while capturing HDV footage.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #12
Major Player

Matrox RTX.2 also allows for real time audio/video preview during HDV capture. Expensive 'fix' though.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:55 PM   #13
Regular Crew

- Hmmm -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Winn View Post
Does anybody know of any Capturing software that will allow you to view the HD video as you're capturing it like Adobe Premiere Pro does with SD video? (HDV Split doesn't)

I am so mad at CS4 for not being able to do this but I understand that most HD vets are already over it.

HDV Split does not seem to be able to do this, I don't want to capture the whole tape.

If an actor shoots 15 takes I only want to capture the one or two that look the best ya know.

Please let me know.

PS: I know you can watch the camera monitor during capture or another ext monitor but that's lame:(
I have an XH A1 and HDVSplit and I'm able to preview my video as it's being captured. I've even been using it to capture live footage without tape.
Laurence Scott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions