Deinterlace or not for film look? (for HDV 720p) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old May 10th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Deinterlace or not for film look? (for HDV 720p)

Hi,

I am just wondering if I am shooting HDV (Panasonic HVX 200 with 35mm adapter) 720p progressive (24fps), do I really need to deinterlace the footage in post-production to create the film look?

I mean, I already rendered some footage (using ppro) and it looks pretty good, it has the film look, so I am just wondering if deinterlacing it will enhance it? or is it just redundant to do it?

thanks
Johnny Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #2
Inner Circle

If your are shooting in 24p it is not interlaced to begin with, why would you deinterlace it?

It's like having chocolate milk and asking if adding cocoa would make it chocolate. It's already chocolate.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #3
Trustee

Depending upon how smart your software is, deinterlacing progressive footage could cause additional problems. In spite of working with Premier since release 1.0, not PPro just plain old Premier, I'm still not sure of all that PP does behind the curtain. Doing what you suggest would make me wonder if PP would take progressive footage and try to deinterlace it anyway. Not good.

Since I deal with both progressive and interlaced footage all the time, I pay particular attention to my frames and fields.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cheung View Post
Hi,

I am just wondering if I am shooting HDV (Panasonic HVX 200 with 35mm adapter) 720p progressive (24fps), do I really need to deinterlace the footage in post-production to create the film look?

I mean, I already rendered some footage (using ppro) and it looks pretty good, it has the film look, so I am just wondering if deinterlacing it will enhance it? or is it just redundant to do it?

thanks
Johnny,
It depends on your intermediate codec. NTSC HDV is generally 1080/60i (PAL is 1080/50i, I believe) or 720 (interlaced? not sure, I don't use 720). Various cameras wrap their 24/30 progressives in the interlaced stream, but I'm not sure how the Panasonic handles that. Various decoders can detect the progressive stream wrapped in the interlaced stream properly. Cineform is what I use. PPro can also detect the progressive stream wrapped inside the interlaced stream and play it back.

Not sure what the Panasonic does on the 720p (i.e., how that HDV stream is written to tape). However, it should still be handled correctly by your intermediate codec (or by PPro natively, if you have a current/recent version).

Deinterlacing progressive video will destroy the video's quality. If you're using modern software on progressive ingested from an HDV stream, then you should have no need to deinterlace, as your footage should be interpreted correctly by the software. You should only deinterlace if you recorded in the camera's interlaced mode (but I'm not saying you *have* to deinterlace). If you recorded in 24p, 30p, 30f, whatever, then your software should detect that and you should NOT deinterlace.

Thanks,
Matt
Matt Vanecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks guys, i use cs4, so i guess the software should detect it and i dont have to deinterlace..
Johnny Cheung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions