DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   The best nle for avchd editing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/235225-best-nle-avchd-editing.html)

G. Lee Gordon May 12th, 2009 04:15 PM

The best nle for avchd editing

Just bought a Canon HFS100 which means I'm making the switch to AVCHD. Don't like how FCP handles AVCHD on my current computer iMAC 20". So I have to buy a new computer. My question to you folks is should I purchase a PC, if so what is the best NLE for editing AVCHD. Or should I stick with FCP and just update my computer. I am a prosumer user now always heading towards pro use. Finances are the main issue. I need to watch my pennies.

Peter Gjevre May 12th, 2009 07:48 PM

You have a few options.

IF your mac is intel-based, you can just add XP to bootcamp to access various PC-based NLEs, of which there are apparently a few inexpensive ones that handle AVCHD quite well

Or

try CS4 for the Mac.

or...

Convert to ProRes prior to ingestion to FCP. Compressor can do lots of nice tricks. Also Toast is quite useful for converting codecs, DVProHD. You could also convert to Cineform. Also, there is a free download at panasonic that allows conversion of AVCHD to P2

AVCHD is going to be difficult to use natively on a dual core machine of any flavor. Thus, you pretty much need to either a) use an intermediate codec which would allow you to keep using the imac and thus save some dinero, or b) get a 4-8 core machine for native editing

The intermediate codec route really isn't too bad, especially since you already have FCP.

Oh, and if your imac is not intel based, definitely upgrade the machine!

Ray Bell May 13th, 2009 05:01 AM

you should give Cineform a try....

Michael Wisniewski May 13th, 2009 05:39 AM

If you go the PC route, Sony Vegas works nicely with AVCHD. For a desktop, get at least a quad-core. I'm editing on a dual-core Intel Macbook Pro using Sony Vegas/Bootcamp and it works fine for basic cuts and f/x. But make sure you have a 7200 rpm drive.

At first, I went the iMovie/FCP route but quickly got frustrated, because I mostly edit on a travel laptop. The current Mac software forces you to convert AVCHD to AIC in iMovie or AIC/ProRes in FCP. So you lose time and disk space in one swoop. Additionally, iMovie does a bunch of other stuff which makes the video look worse, so avoid the AVCHD/iMovie combo if you can.

On the other hand, Sony Vegas edits the original AVCHD files, just copy the data over the the hard disk and drag and drop onto the timeline. No waiting around for data conversions, and you save a lot of disk space. Once again with the caveat, on a dual-core laptop, this works just for basic edits and f/x.

Robert M Wright May 13th, 2009 08:00 AM

Edius maybe the best kept secret around, for editing AVCHD.

Ron Evans May 13th, 2009 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert M Wright (Post 1142372)
Edius maybe the best kept secret around, for editing AVCHD.

After converting to Canopus HQ it is the best but Vegas will edit AVCHD native files at a slightly reduced resolution which in my mind is a little easier. I have both and Edius is my main editor. I use Vegas for audio editing and for single track AVCHD using native files.

Ron Evans