DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Firewire for on location capture (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/237375-firewire-location-capture.html)

Scott Nelson June 15th, 2009 10:14 AM

Firewire for on location capture

I wanted to get a firewire card for my laptop so I could capture right to my computer with Canon's console... But I can't find one that doesn't require an external power source... Anyone know one that will just plug into a laptop and can capture the camera?

I have an express card 54 slot...

Robert M Wright June 16th, 2009 07:51 AM

Newegg.com - PCs & Laptops,Laptop Accessories,Laptop Add-on Cards,USB / IEEE 1394 ExpressCard,

Scott Nelson June 21st, 2009 08:49 PM

I got that far... But the problem is most of them want an external power supply to plug into the firewire card... Don't they make one that runs off the computer power?

Bryan Daugherty June 21st, 2009 09:55 PM

Scott - I had not heard of this before but you seem correct. Most of these cards require external power to run. What an odd concept for modern tech...

Here is a link to a card at Tiger Direct that uses a usb cord to power the card. The users seem to rate it well and i have had good luck with other products from Sabrent and best of all it is USB/FW combo so you net an increase of 1 FW connection and 1 USb connection...

Sabrent SBT-PCA4 USB 2.0 & Firewire PCMCIA Combo CardBus with USB Power Cable at TigerDirect.com

Does this look like it might work for your needs?

Scott Nelson June 22nd, 2009 09:42 AM

Bryan, That looks like it should work! I was thinking after my last message that they should just run it off the USP port... I guess they do!

I will order it an see if it workd for me!

Thank you so much!

Scott Nelson June 22nd, 2009 03:23 PM

I just figured out that it will not work due to the new stupid PCMCIA card slots... I have the 54... It is a standard full width card.. I which they would just make a slot that handles all the differnt types of cards!

Anyway... Tiger Direct is too quick... It has alread shipped so I will have to return it to them or refuse the shippment...

You didn't per chance find one like this for the newer style did you?

Bryan Daugherty June 23rd, 2009 10:54 PM

Scott - I totally missed that too. They do carry this card model StarTech EC13942 FireWire Card - ExpressCard Slot, FireWire 400, 2-port at TigerDirect.com. I know it has a power input but it does not ship with power cord. If you scroll down (at this time) you can access the manual that says you do not need supplemental power for low power devices. For capture, this should work fine since you do not need a powered port for capture. I am not familiar with this product or company though so I hope it will work for you. Tiger is usually very good about RMA, especially if you are buying something else, just give them a call. Let us know how this works out for you...

Also, if you want FW 800 (1394b) support that is reverse compatible, you might want to check out this card from Lacie. LaCie - Firewire 800 ExpressCard 34/54

Scott Nelson June 25th, 2009 09:53 PM

Yeah, I spent the money on a "Nicer" card from Best Buy... it had a power cord spot but no cable... It would not recognize my camera though... I spent like, $60 on it so it was not cheap... I did return it though and they were understanding, but they did not offer any different replacement...

I will return this card tomorrow and try that other one when I get the money...

Bryan Daugherty June 25th, 2009 11:27 PM

Sorry you are having such a hard time with this. Please let us know how it works out.