Important point in Editing HD video. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old August 5th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Important point in Editing HD video.

Guys do you know if i can mix 23.976F with 25F in one project? i guess in premiere pro. will it be alright?
-should i convert the 23.976 to 25 first then import in to the project or the contrary.?

the thing is that im in a country that uses PAL with a NTSC Camera! XH-A1 i can pay Panasonic $ 500 but may be its not necessary?
Arthur Abramov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 09:59 PM   #2
Inner Circle

It's best to determine what format you will need for final delivery, then get the equipment and settings to match.

What you don't want to do is mix a bunch of formats in a project. It can become a frustrating mess.

And also important: test your workflow. It's sometimes not as straightforward as might be assumed.
Old August 20th, 2009, 04:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Come on guys :) did anybody try with success?

Mixing Pal 25f with NTSC 24f in one projects? how did it work? is it better to deliver the final output into 24f rather than 25f or the contrary.?
Arthur Abramov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #4
Trustee

The folks in PAL land probably have a better handle on this. They probably deal with this all the time. I don't know what the best deal is but the comment about staying with the final delivery media format is good advice.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 02:48 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
The folks in PAL land probably have a better handle on this. They probably deal with this all the time. I don't know what the best deal is but the comment about staying with the final delivery media format is good advice.
That makes it even more difficult to decide what the best approach is. Delivery in 24P is completely legal, but is of course NTSC (= Never Twice the Same Color) and requires abandoning 25P, which is not legal, so no more PAL (= Perfect At L(e)ast).

I wonder how long it takes for the Standards Committee to accept that they made a big mistake by not including 1080/25P as a legal format. They effectively forgot that the world is slightly larger than just NTSC countries.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 05:37 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Arthur

As has already been said you need to decide which is your final delivery.... in Premiere you won't be able to mix both in the same project...

In the past when I have had to use NTSC footage in a PAL project I've converted it to PAL 25P in After Effects... check out the help and it tells you how its done, and works pretty well...You do lose quality but its not too bad if there is no alternative...

In PAL land though most recent DVD players will play both NTSC and PAL which I don't believe is necessarily the case with models sold in the US.

Regards
Gareth
Old August 21st, 2009, 06:35 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm Millaard View Post
I wonder how long it takes for the Standards Committee to accept that they made a big mistake by not including 1080/25P as a legal format. They effectively forgot that the world is slightly larger than just NTSC countries.
Way back when, I remember reading or hearing that the US settled on a standard for HDTV that would be incompatible with Europe and I thought it was rather short sighted. This was brought to us by the FCC, the same people who spent seven years (I think) deciding upon a standard for AM stereo. All of us over here in the radio business remember how well that all worked out.

I often wonder about the motivation of those who set these so-called standards.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I do know that CS4 will allow for different frame rates to be used in the same project, however not sure it'll go between NTSC and PAL in the same project. You'll need to convert the footage to one or the other first then import into your project.
Paul Digges is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions