MediaStudio Pro. 7.0---MPEG TS? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old June 14th, 2004, 05:23 AM   #1
Major Player

MediaStudio Pro. 7.0---MPEG TS?

I've downloaded Ulead MediaStudio Pro. 7.0 in the hope of using it for MPEG TS?

I know that Ulead have said they'll support HDV - but does anyone know if Pro. 7.0 can do TS right now??

I've tried capturing with their capture software and it doesn't seem to be happening.

Thanks.
Graham Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2004, 10:01 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Graham,

There is a separate HD plugin that you need but I do not think it is demo-able. $299 on ulead.com.

If you search the website, you can find the description and it says it supports the JVC cameras.
Bryan Suthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2004, 12:32 PM   #3
Major Player

.....thanks.
Old June 15th, 2004, 11:38 AM   #4
Major Player

Bryan,

just thought I'd ask you your opinion on this also.

I have checked out the HD plug in and am considering buying it, together with MediaStudio Pro. 7.0

One thing: give that the plug in is designed for the GR-HD1 and the JY-HD10U... can I be confident it will handle the MPEG TS from the GR-PD1?

Maybe you don't know, but I just thought I'd ask.

Thanks.
Old June 15th, 2004, 12:26 PM   #5
Tourist

The plugin is certainly supposed to work on the GR-PD1. I have both the camera and the plugin. Please see my post earlier today about the problems I am having with it. If you get it, I would be very interested to know if you have similar problems.
Mike Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2004, 12:26 PM   #6
Tourist

The plugin is certainly supposed to work on the GR-PD1. I have both the camera and the plugin. Please see my post earlier today about the problems I am having with it. If you get it, I would be very interested to know if you have similar problems.
Mike Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2004, 01:57 PM   #7
Major Player

Right, I've read your post.

I've got what I wanted, in one way. Your conversations with Ulead constitute confirmation that the PD1 MPEG TS is at least meant to be embraced by that HDV plug in.

Unfortunately, now I have a fresh problem which is that it doesn't sound like it works. Maybe the plug in wasn't tested with the PD1.

Would appreciate your letting me know how it works out over the next week/so for yourself as the winds in my mind keep shifting in terms of whether I should live with the KDDI NLE or go for this... I have explored other options, from Womble to Premiere and am not impressed. The Ulead is the best so far. Hope they can support the PD1 properly.

There's a MSP7 forum you probably know about at www.dmnforums.com

Would also be interested in exchanging thoughts/experiences about the cam in general. I actually selected it OVER the HD10 you refer to.
Old June 15th, 2004, 02:01 PM   #8
Major Player

Also Mike, could you create an EDL in the KDDI NLE? I can't find that facility anywhere!
Old June 15th, 2004, 07:56 PM   #9
Major Player

Re: MediaStudio Pro. 7.0---MPEG TS?

Graham and Mike:

I know you're both looking at getting Ulead MSP7 to work with your PD1s, so this reply may seem a bit 'off topic', but have you tried just using the JVC capture utility to import to a directory - renaming the clip/s .m2t extension to .mpg - then loading them directly into MSP7?

BTW, you might also find the tryout version of Vegas5 worthy as it handles *.m2t files without any probz. Like MSP7 it doesn't yet recognise the JVC cams for capture, but it will write m2t files from the edited footage which can be sent back to the cam via the Capture Util.

Oh, and TMPGenc 3XP now handles m2t as well as 1080 footage!!! Plus it can write WMV9 HD with aplomb....may be worth some consideration.

HD capable software is getting better and better; it's just that at the moment there isn't one single app that can 'do the lot'......
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2004, 05:19 PM   #10
Major Player

How do you rename the extension? I remember doing it in the past with extensions, but can't do it here. It doesn't seem to be an editable part of file titles in XP, certainly not in thr KDDI NLE.

Thanks
Old June 16th, 2004, 06:40 PM   #11
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Graham Jones Senior : How do you rename the extension? I remember doing it in the past with extensions, but can't do it here. It doesn't seem to be an editable part of file titles in XP, certainly not in thr KDDI NLE.

Thanks -->>>
I assume you know the where-abouts of the folder that you captured the footage to with the JVC Capture Utility?
Once you know the where-abouts of the folder, open My Computer, open the Drive on which the capture folder resides, then navigate your way to the folder. Once you've opened the folder, select a m2t file - do a very slow double click (or single right button click) and the file name/extension become editable. Just type mpg after the period.
Old June 17th, 2004, 03:08 AM   #12
Major Player

I remember doing it in the past with extensions, but can't do it here.

M2T is not an editable part of the file name, as far as I can see.

I slowly double click, the title becomes editable, but not the extension. So, if I add .mpg ......I end up with filename.mpg
...but it's still described in properties as an MWT file.
Old June 17th, 2004, 03:09 AM   #13
Major Player

typo: it's still described in the properties as an MT2 file
Old June 17th, 2004, 05:46 AM   #14
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Graham Jones Senior : typo: it's still described in the properties as an MT2 file -->>>

Have you changed the folder view settings (under the TOOLS dropdown menu of any folder...) to show registered file types etc?

If you haven't you'll need to do so before you'll be able to change the extension.

The important thing to remember is that m2t files are Mpeg 2 Transport stream data, so some appz may be able to read mpg transport stream/mpv ts etc. but they don't recognise the m2t extension, and will return a "unknown file type" error when attempting to open an *.m2t file, so changing the extension is just a simple work-around.
Old June 17th, 2004, 09:37 AM   #15
Major Player

Thanks Steve!
Graham Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions