DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Connecting Camera to PC (first time) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/27985-connecting-camera-pc-first-time.html)

Andrew Baumhauer June 23rd, 2004 07:10 PM

Connecting Camera to PC (first time)

I just received a GR-HD1 (used) and when I connected it to my firewire card, a new hardware device(s) was found. Drivers were not automatically installed. What software (.inf files) do I need to install to make this camera work?

Andy

Graham Hickling June 23rd, 2004 07:49 PM

In Windows XP, the procedure is:

1) Let the hardware update wizard come up
2) Select 'install from a list'
3) On next screen, select "Dont search - I will choose from a list'
4) On next screen, select "Sound, video and game controllers"
5) On next screen, select "JVC tape device"

That should be all you have to do....

If you have already installed an incorrect driver, instead of step one go to Settings/Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager - find the device, rightclick, select "Update driver" and then proceed with steps 2-5.

Steve Crisdale June 23rd, 2004 07:56 PM

Re: Connecting Camera to PC (first time)

<<<-- Originally posted by Andrew Baumhauer : I just received a GR-HD1 (used) and when I connected it to my firewire card, a new hardware device(s) was found. Drivers were not automatically installed. What software (.inf files) do I need to install to make this camera work?

Andy -->>>

You mean you didn't get the JVC software CD with the cam..... You'd better see if the people you got it from have got it, otherwise it won't work!!
You could of course just look at the HD output on a HDTV via component connection in the meantime.

Andrew Baumhauer June 23rd, 2004 09:46 PM

Thanks

Graham,

Thanks alot. I finally figured this out by trying to read the French instructions -- the English ones where no where to be found. Good thing that I took french two decades ago (not). Anyway, you were dead on with the instructions, and I hope that this info helps someone else.

That said, the twenty minutes of footage I shot with the camera is fantastic! For all the bad things I heard about the camera (and expected), the image quality so far outweighs the shortcomings, that I'll learn to live with them. This board/community has been great with all of the info I needed to make a decision to purchase this camera.

Andy

Graham Hickling June 23rd, 2004 10:25 PM

Andy - glad its working!

Steve - just to clarify for the benefit of others who might read this post: Windows XP has the necessary hardware drivers to link the camera with the computer (as described above).

The CD that comes with the camera contains upload/download and editing software. However several NLE's like Vegas, Ulead and Premiere (with the MPEGPro plugin) can be used as alternatives to the JVC-supplied software. There is also freeware on the web (CapDVHS and WrtDVHS) that will upload/download HDV to/from the camera and from DVHS decks.

Personally, I've never gotten around to opening the supplied CD.....

Andrew Baumhauer June 25th, 2004 05:53 AM

CapDVHS - no transport controls?

I tried the CapDVHS program - it looks very nice, but it doesn't seem to have transport controls (ie, when I start the capture, I manually have to press play on the camera body, and manually stop the capture). Is this normal behavior, or do I have something setup incorrectly? The program shows "Microsoft AV/C Tape Subunit Device (JVC GR-HD1 #1)" as the capture device.

Andy