HDV Editing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old July 1st, 2004, 12:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HDV Editing

Just for curiosity if somebody dont want to use Aspect HD or Connect HD on a pc platform what other choice do we have???
I am planning to buy Aspect HD next week just wondering what else is out there for less ???
Gabor
Gabor Lacza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2004, 06:58 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi,

You may find Vegas 5.0 a perfect choice to edit HD contents in realtime. Vegas 5.0 edits 720p, 1080i and other hd formats whereas Aspect allows you to edit 720p only.

I had use the Aspect demo, it takes time to convert hd contents to Aspect format for editing.

Now, Vegas 5.0 can export transport stream which could be directly export to d-vhs, not to mention Microsoft wmv9 which Aspect could not do.
Peter Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2004, 07:49 PM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Robert : Hi,
You may find Vegas 5.0 a perfect choice to edit HD contents in realtime.
-->>>

For HDV 720p30 Vegas on an average P4 will only preview single stream in real-time, transitions and other filter will cause the frame rate to drop. The real-time term should only apply to full frame rate previews (i.e. 10 frames per second doesn't quality as real-time.) Vegas running 1080i will increase CPU load by 68%, 720p60 buy 100%, these modes make even basic editing very un-fun. :)

<<<-- Vegas 5.0 edits 720p, 1080i and other hd formats whereas Aspect allows you to edit 720p only. --->>>

Aspect HD also accelerates 1080i were just not pushing it until there is a camera that can use it. For the current JVC expect a modern P4 to mix for 4 streams of 720p30 and about 3 streams of 1080i HDV.

<<<---I had use the Aspect demo, it takes time to convert hd contents to Aspect format for editing.-->>>

It is real-time on 2.8GHz P4 -- i.e. it takes no more time than capturing any footage from tape. It is completely transparent.

<<<--Now, Vegas 5.0 can export transport stream which could be directly export to d-vhs, not to mention Microsoft wmv9 which Aspect could not do. -->>>

Aspect HD has been exporting to WMV9 every since it released nearly a year ago. It can export to any Premiere Pro can (which is very flexible.)

Now that I have cleared up some misinformation. Vegas is a excellent product, and it is one of the few to support native M2T editing, however the resolution of HD does place demands on any NLE that makes editing difficult. CineForm sells Connect HD directly for the Vegas market, primarily as a Vegas accelerater, making the previews 2-3 times faster/smoother. Just as Aspect HD offers about 5 to 6 times performance gains for Premiere Pro.
Old July 1st, 2004, 07:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

hi Gabor,

Why don't you try the demos of Vegas and Aspect to make a judgement by yourselves
Peter Robert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions