Other HDV solutions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old August 2nd, 2004, 03:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Other HDV solutions

Is there any?
Any coming soon?
Any new Apple gossip?

Thanks!

Steven
Steven Galvano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 07:58 PM   #2
Major Player

Solitaire

Yes, the folks that brought you the Casablanca and ushered in the editing appliance revolution will be introducing the HDV capable "Solitaire" in about two weeks.
Steve Jobs is recovering from pancreatic cancer. Apple stock took a big hit on the news.
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2004, 08:47 PM   #3
Wrangler

Lynne,

Recovering is the key word. Looks like he'll be fine which is a big releif for all Job addict...I mean Mac addicts

Looks like the stock has recovered as well. Some people made some nice money on Apple stock (day traders) in early July.
Frederic Lumiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2004, 09:18 PM   #4
Wrangler

I've done quite well without any day trading, after years of being in the red. Did you notice that Steve made Fortune's list of the 25 most powerful people in Business?
Quote:
MOST POWERFUL PEOPLE IN BUSINESS
Steve Jobs
Company: Apple, Pixar
Title: CEO
Previous rank: N.A.
Why does everybody watch Steve Jobs? It's not because of Apple's market share, less than 2% of the global desktop computer market, or its revenues, $6 billion last year—less than a fifth of what flowed into Microsoft's treasury. It's the force of his ideas. No longer just a creator of trendsetting computers and software, Jobs is transforming the music and movie industries. He persuaded wary record companies to sell music on his iTunes Music Store, and a great many of the 100 million songs sold so far are playing on iPods. As CEO of Pixar, he's made a string of influential blockbusters like Finding Nemo, the highest-grossing animated film ever. (Pixar's next film, The Incredibles, is due to come out this fall.) Jobs showed his Hollywood power when he refused to extend Pixar's distribution contract with Disney, and he's now shopping around for a more lucrative deal. —Devin Leonard
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2004, 10:07 PM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

Apple's at 2% market share? Ouch. It was 4% just two or three years ago. Curses, Dell!

I'm not a big fan of edit appliances, but if it works, GO FOR IT!

heath
Old August 12th, 2004, 09:48 AM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

You publicity isn't helping when it includes quotes demonstrating that this new platform isn't ready for HDV and the technical staff have no knowledge of the nature of chroma noise (which is not a JVC bug.) This sounds like things are a way off for Macrosystems, although as this product seems more like a PC than ever (maybe no more C-Cube hardware) their development cycles should be a little shorter than their track record would predict.
Old August 12th, 2004, 05:36 PM   #7
Major Player

A case for honesty...

Which goes to show that I don't have any hidden agenda. Frankly, I like straight-forward editing appliances. (I own your ScreenPlay appliance! Bought it back in the days when it was, what, $5000?) I would like to see the Solitaire become a success because I firmly believe that until that happens, HDV is going to remain in the domain of PC and Mac techies and may thus ultimately falter as a viable format. My mantra is "HD for the masses." The state of the HD union right now is "HD for the techies."
Old August 18th, 2004, 12:40 PM   #8
Trustee

I would say it's currently "editing for the reasonably bright", especially on the PC side with AspectHD.
Get a WinXP PC, install AspectHD Adobe bundle, done.
Keep it unpluged from the net.
Use the included training materials.
If ones still on the shy side, get a book/video/night course on Premiere Pro.
Upgrade in the future as needed (more HDD ect..)
Old August 18th, 2004, 01:31 PM   #9
Major Player

Can you be more specific about the sort of computer? Could it be something Wal-Mart offers, for example? And what's the best book (eg. Premiere for Dummies???) that cuts to the chase and reduces editing down to its BARE essentials in 25 pages or less? Ok, 50 pages.
Old August 18th, 2004, 07:21 PM   #10
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Lynne Whelden : Can you be more specific about the sort of computer? Could it be something Wal-Mart offers, for example? And what's the best book (eg. Premiere for Dummies???) that cuts to the chase and reduces editing down to its BARE essentials in 25 pages or less? Ok, 50 pages. -->>>
If Wal-Mart offers reasonably priced P-IV 3.2Ghz with 800Mhz FSB, SATA RAID with 7,200rpm HD of at least 120Gig with at least 512meg of decent RAM and a good AGP card then that'd be what you're after.....Oh, a good monitor capable of displaying HD rez clips as well.... There are some really good Widescreen TFTs available now that'll show 720p footage just perfect.

There's heaps of Premiere 'how to' books out there....the one that's right for you might just involve a flip through from cover to cover just to get a 'feel' of the information within. Premiere has, like all Adobe products, a very respectable Help file with plenty of tutorials that make basic processes easy enough to understand and execute.

My own personal preference for HD NLE is Sony Vegas. BTW, your query about Avisynth filters for chroma noise reduction elsewhere.....Both Vegas and Premiere have the capacity of using Avisynth plug-ins for chrome noise reduction. You'll just have to do some Google searches to find what's out there......
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2004, 08:22 PM   #11
Trustee

"Both Vegas and Premiere have the capacity of using Avisynth plug-ins .... "

Really??? As internal plugins, or by loading avs scripts, or how?

This sounds v. promising ....
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2004, 09:58 PM   #12
MPS Digital Studios

Antony Bolante writes some good ones. I have to give a plug to my co-producer/music scorer's friend (Bolante), as they went to school together. his books have always been really good.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions