DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   HDCAM to HDV? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/30829-hdcam-hdv.html)

Martin Munthe August 22nd, 2004 10:10 AM

HDCAM to HDV?

What would be the fastest and most reliable way to convert HDCAM to HDV for editing without spending all that money on a Boxx/Prospect HD setup?

I would prefer to edit in Premiere Pro and I need to convert 25p (the HDCAM source) to 30p 720p or 1080i.

I was thinking of capturing the footage using DeckLink HD (WinXP) and then use ProCoder 2 for HDV conversion (and framerate conversion). If it was a way to do dupes from a HDCAM deck to a HDV deck it would be the best solution by far.

Is there any hardware out there that supports the 25p HDV standard yet?

Any input or thoughts on this one?

Ben Buie August 24th, 2004 09:36 AM

Theoretically if your HDCAM deck has component outputs that output 720p (which I would assume it would have to for monitoring purposes), and your DVHS deck has component inputs and can record at 720p (which again I would assume it would have to record HD sources), then you could do an analog transfer in HD from the HDCAM deck to the DVHS deck. That would probably be your best bet quality-wise, even if it isn't technically all-digital.

Excuse my ignorance, but is HDCAM always 25p, or is that the PAL version?

Phil Wright August 24th, 2004 10:17 AM

Are you sure you want to take the HDCAM footage with its 3:1:1 colorspace and convert it to MPEG2 4:2:0?

Not sure what system you are going to bring in full-rate 1080i25 uncompressed into but assuming you have the drive space and throughput required why not just stay in uncompressed?

Otherwise I believe some of the Pro JVC DVHS decks will take component in. The consumer ones do not.

Ben Buie August 24th, 2004 10:25 AM

"Otherwise I believe some of the Pro JVC DVHS decks will take component in. The consumer ones do not."

Ugh, that sucks. I thought part of the point of these DVHS decks was to be able to record HD off of Cable or Satellite? I suppose they make you use DVI for copy-protection purposes? If so, that blows.

Ben

Phil Wright August 24th, 2004 11:19 AM

"I thought part of the point of these DVHS decks was to be able to record HD off of Cable or Satellite"

They'll take the firewire feed off an appropriately equipped HDTV tuner or satellite box.

Martin Munthe September 5th, 2004 06:44 AM

"Are you sure you want to take the HDCAM footage with its 3:1:1 colorspace and convert it to MPEG2 4:2:0?"

Yes. Why not? If the downscaling from 1080p 3:1:1 to 720p 4:2:0 is done correctly I don't see a problem. I have HDCAM downconverted to DVCAM PAL (4:2:0) that looks absolutely smashing.

Steve Crisdale September 6th, 2004 08:19 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Martin Munthe : "Are you sure you want to take the HDCAM footage with its 3:1:1 colorspace and convert it to MPEG2 4:2:0?"

Yes. Why not? If the downscaling from 1080p 3:1:1 to 720p 4:2:0 is done correctly I don't see a problem. I have HDCAM downconverted to DVCAM PAL (4:2:0) that looks absolutely smashing. -->>>

Now this may seem a little off-thread here....but bear with me please...

The FTA networks are broadcasting HDTV as MPEG2 PS are they not? This can either be 1080i or 720p resolution. At least the FTA HD broadcasts I've recorded onto hard drive here in Australia are.....

So, any producer of a HD product will have to contend at some point with their work being run through MPEG2 processing. True?

Isn't one of the core components of STB's an MPEG2 decoder?

So, if shows like CSI have been mangled by the FTA stations converting the original to MPEG2 to transmit as MPEG2 PS....how come it looks so dang good!!!

And why is anyone trying to match the quality of FTA HD in 1080i or 720p if MPEG2 HD; which is what most plebs are barely able to aspire to receiving on their newly acquired HD STBs and HD WS TVs, isn't worthy of considering as a medium to tap into this massive resource?