HDV Editing setup at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old September 23rd, 2004, 12:42 PM   #1
New Boot

HDV Editing setup

Hi,

I plan on buying a Sony HDR-FX1 when they become available. I've already traded in my older Mini DV Prosumer camcorder and have bought a new JVC JY-HD10U HD Camera for now until I can get my hands on the new 3 chip wonder. Haven't received the JVC yet but want to know what else I will need in order to integrate it and the HDR-FX1 into my edit suite (briefly described below):

Do I need to buy a new deck to playback HD tapes from the HDR-FX1?
Will I need a new deck for each HD camera or is there one deck I can get that will playback both tapes? Will both cameras use the same media or not?

Edit suite set up is:
a Mac G4 800 MP w/ADP39160 SCSI card to ext. Arrays
a Mac G5 2Ghz MP w/ADP39160 SCSI card to ext. Arrays
a sony UVW 1800
a sony DSR 20 DVcam recorder (which serves as the Analog to Digital pass through for my Beta deck and playback for DV and DVcam tapes via firewire to the macs).
I've installed FCP 4.5 HD
Any help you can offer in this transition to HD editing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

jd@theimagesmith.net
Old September 24th, 2004, 09:37 AM   #2
MPS Digital Studios

Not sure if the JVC VH1 HDV deck will play back the Sony footage.

Lumiere HD has proven to be a great solution for getting the footage off the JVC HDV cameras and into FCP, and back to tape (or DVHS) again. Frederic, who is co-moderator of this thread with Cineform's David Newman, owns Lumiere HD, and says the next version will support the Sony's 1080i60.

heath
Old September 24th, 2004, 01:21 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks

Thanks,
For your reply. I also saw a whole discussion that you were involved in last night in this same area of inquiry. I get the impression that you are one of the founders of (or at least most active contributors to) this site. Let me take the opportunity to thank you and all the others that make this such a great resource. I just discoverd it but am delighted with all the great info here.

J D
Old September 24th, 2004, 08:32 PM   #4
MPS Digital Studios

You say Info, and that's what we are!

Check out this page, too!

Yeah, I got into this early and was one of the first in the country to buy the HD10. It was exciting (HD!) and disappointing (no manual controls), but I'm having a BLAST!

And I LOVE moderating these boards (except this one, in the capable hands of Mac/PC HDV experts Frederic and David).

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions