DV Filmmaker 2.0 and HDV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old September 28th, 2004, 10:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DV Filmmaker 2.0 and HDV

Has Anyone used DV Filmaker 2.0 with footage shot from the JVC GR-HD1. I converted some in Vegas to 720x480 DV Widescreen 30i to just do a test and it it converted it well but it cropped the native 16:9 image to 4:3 eventhough I had chosen the no cropping option. Has anyone else tried this and managed to keep the image still in 16:9 after the conversion process or is the software crippled and unable to do this. I have been to the dvfilm website and they dont have any info on their site or help boards that addresses this problem. It kind of defeats the purpose of shooting in 16:9 if you have to letterbox on your output and are unable to make anamorphic 16:9 DVDs. Any suggestions or experiences would be helpful. Thank you.
Mark Duckworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2004, 12:41 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: DV Filmmaker 2.0 and HDV

I haven't used it.....yet. Then again; any frame-rate conversion I have done, I have done without any 3rd party software in Vegas. It handles frame rate conversion - from my experience - at least as well as Twixtor (and without Twixtors annoyingly complex options dialogue.

I may install the demo of DV Filmaker, but I'd really need more convincing that some of these 'add-ins' aren't just software 'snake-oil'.

BTW why 30i?
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2004, 12:50 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Sorry, I meant 60i. I converted from 30p to 60i because I had read on their website before I downloaded the demo that 60i gave the best results. I too have just rendered in Vegas and the results do look very good to 24p and their are little if any artifacts. DVFilm does not seem to be very supportive of 30p conversion so I figured I would try doing the convert to 60i in Vegas. This test was more to see how the 16:9 frame would look because I thinking about Sonys new HDcam.
Mark Duckworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2004, 04:46 AM   #4
RED Problem Solver

I don't think anyone is very supportive of 30p! Myself, who makes Film Effects for FCP, DVFilm Maker and Magic Bullet all rquest that you don't use 30p in the instructions. I don't know how Vegas converts it to 60i, but I doubt it's putting the extra temporal resolution back in. 60 fields per second converts to 24fps quite well through clever frame and field blending algorithms, with smart de-interlacers etc, but 30p does not, hence the instructions.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2004, 08:16 AM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

Check out this thread for info on the 1080i60 HDV!

heath
Old September 30th, 2004, 12:04 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thank You for the responses. However, I am more interested in DVFilm Makers keeping the 16:9 OAR and not cropping it to letterbox or vertically stretching it to a 4:3 .avi or .mov. Does anyone know how to keep it from doing these things and keeping it in the native 16:9 image once its been converted?
Mark Duckworth is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions