HDV editing storage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old October 8th, 2004, 04:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HDV editing storage

Hey all! I'm purchasing the new sony HD camera when it comes out and I need some pointers. I'll be purchasing a dual G5 with 4gig RAM for editing. What I'm not sure about is Hard Drive space. I really don't know much about this new format and how much through-put you need to edit this stuff. Should I be able to use a firewire RAID, or do I need a xserve RAID? I would really appreciate so help with this. Thanks,
Josh
Josh Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2004, 09:05 PM   #2
Inner Circle

A lot depends on how you're going to end up editing your HDV footage. If Apple implements "native" HDV editing in Final Cut Pro then hard drive bandwidth shouldn't be a concern, because the native bandwidth is the same for a layer of 1080i HDV as it is for a layer of DV. If you convert your source footage to the DVCProHD format, that's 12.5 MB/sec per layer of video, so you could still do some editing on any good modern hard drive.

I would caution you that until Apple gets their HDV solution working in FCP, you may find that editing HDV on a Macintosh computer will be a bit of a hassle. I've also heard reports of problems generating and playing Windows Media HD output on Macs, which is an issue because this is going to be one of the more popular output formats for HDV work. More generally, we still haven't seen a good answer for how we're going to distribute finished HDV projects, and that may be a problem for the better part of another year yet.

I'm real interested in the HDV format, but I'm not going to rush to jump in just yet. Maybe by next summer...
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions