DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Virtual dub and m2t transport stream (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/34713-virtual-dub-m2t-transport-stream.html)

Dwight Flynn November 9th, 2004 01:57 PM

Virtual dub and m2t transport stream

Does anyone here know if there is a filter (or plug-in) that would allow Virtual Dub to read native transport stream files? I know there is a mod and an mpeg version of Virtual dub, but they do not read transport files, and I remember reading somewhere that there is a version that does.

Thanks

Steve Crisdale November 9th, 2004 04:05 PM

Re: Virtual dub and m2t transport stream

<<<-- Originally posted by Dwight Flynn : Does anyone here know if there is a filter (or plug-in) that would allow Virtual Dub to read native transport stream files? I know there is a mod and an mpeg version of Virtual dub, but they do not read transport files, and I remember reading somewhere that there is a version that does.

Thanks -->>>

Have you tried the simple work-around of changing the three letter file extension from *.m2t to *.mpg before attempting to load into Virtual Dub? It works for me with a lot of other programs......

Dwight Flynn November 9th, 2004 06:44 PM

No, but I many times I have noticed that that approach slows down the process considerably. I would rather have a dub version that deals with the native format.

Steve Crisdale November 9th, 2004 09:09 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Dwight Flynn : No, but I many times I have noticed that that approach slows down the process considerably. I would rather have a dub version that deals with the native format. -->>>

Not sure I understand your meaning..... I'm assuming that you've changed the extension before loading into something like Premiere Pro or Vegas, but not tried with Virtual Dub?

Or, you're meaning that compared to working with other files (not HDV though) in Virtual Dub renamed m2t files are a lot slower?

Either way, you're working with the same m2t - no re-encoding takes place, so it's still the native file (m2t is an mpg variant)... it's just got a different extension, and the simple fact you're working with a vastly increased data rate is going to slow things dramatically - regardless of the extension tag....

Dylan Pank November 10th, 2004 06:09 AM

I've tried the changing m2t to .mpg approach but it didn't work when I tried it.

Dwight Flynn November 10th, 2004 12:16 PM

I have tried the changing extension option with no luck. That is why I am looking for a more direct route via a filter or plugin for vd.

Thanks

Kyle Edwards November 10th, 2004 02:32 PM

There isn't anything yet, but you can do a couple steps. The problem is of right now the audio track.

You can download Virtual Dub MPG2 from:

http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/stable/

But first you will turn the M2T into a MPG (transport to normal MPG) with HDTV2MPEG2. Problem is, I have not yet demuxed the audio from any Sony HDV files yet. I am sure once the cameras are out more than a month (far as I know they came in today alot of places) you will see updates or new programs come out.

The way I mentioned above is how I got some footage into VDub and played around with it.

ha, noted.
VVVV

Dylan Pank November 10th, 2004 05:21 PM

Kyle - Just to let you know - the official abbreviation of VirtualDub is "Vdub" - saves any embarrassing confusion :-)

Dwight Flynn November 11th, 2004 09:20 PM

Yeah, I have been using the hdtvtompeg2 option, but I was hoping there was a vdub option (hint to the programmers out there:-).

Kyle Edwards November 11th, 2004 10:21 PM

Video wise, you can use VDub. Audio, not yet.

Dwight Flynn November 16th, 2004 10:31 AM

Sorry of the late reply, but Kyle how can I use Vdub for transport stream editing.

Kyle Edwards November 16th, 2004 09:25 PM

4 posts above I posted a method. Give that a shot and post if there are any problems.

Kyle Edwards November 20th, 2004 12:16 PM

HDTV2MPEG2's newest version now supports audio in Sony's M2T files. So you can import the a/v just fine into Virtual Dub MPEG2.

Dwight Flynn November 22nd, 2004 07:10 AM

Kyle, there are several versions of HDTV2MPEG2 floating around. Which one are you referring to.

Kyle Edwards November 22nd, 2004 09:40 PM

The latest verison, which is HDTVtoMPEG2 1.11 beta.

HDTVtoMPEG2 version history / changelog

1.11 Beta
NEW
- PID stripping support*
- MPEG-2 audio now supported when converting TS to MPEG-2
- Option to create sequential "clip" files**