FX1 workable solutions TODAY? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 21st, 2004, 05:38 AM   #16
Regular Crew

I can count the times EDIUS 2.X crashed if I only count my thumbs. I leave it running sometimes 24/7 for weeks without a single crash. It's the most stable NLE I've used (other than *Edit.. also by Canopus). Period.
Michael Dontigney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2004, 01:55 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I've had similar experiences to Michael's, and if it wasn't for Canopus I suppose I might be taking a closer look at Macs for video editing.

Regarding Macs and HDV editing, it's just not very practical at this time. The best working solution is to convert your HDV source footage to the DVCProHD format, which is very time-consuming and reduces the image quality before you even get started editing. Sometime soon Apple may release "native" HDV support for Final Cut Pro, at which point you'll be able edit HDV more conveniently on high-end G5 Macs...but possibly with some issues for anything involving chromakeying or other advanced effects. Around the middle of next year Apple will supposedly have a new OS with new video support technology, which may finally catch up with currently shipping PC HDV solutions. But then you'll probably have to buy a "G6" Mac to even run that software.

For the original poster who has a fast PC plus a G5 Mac on order, the PC will easily offer better HDV options for now. Use the Macs for DV editing if that tickles your fancy, and use the PC as a dedicated HDV workstation until Apple gets their act together.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions