Got my HDR-FX1 !!! but how can i capture. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 30th, 2004, 11:23 AM   #1
Major Player

Got my HDR-FX1 !!! but how can i capture.

Got my HDR-FX1 !!! but how can i capture in premiere.

i downloaded the Aspect HD pro demo but i can't stand it! you can't see what you are capturing (no monitor output) and after the capture is finished it encodeds the file. i thought that hdr-fx1 will already encode the file as soon as it hits the firewire device.

any other methods anyone has experienced? please help

thanks in advance.

joel
Joel Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 12:21 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

True it would be nice to a monitor window during capture (something we have been working on), fortunately the camera's own LCD can serve that purpose until the monitoring window support is completed. The Aspect HD enhancement focuses on editing performance, capture-convert is a necessary evil to get real-time editing performance on today's desktop PC. The idea being you capture only once, but editing can is a on-going process -- it is much better for creativity to make the editing experience nice (maybe even fun.)

David Newman
CTO, CineForm
Old November 30th, 2004, 01:39 PM   #3
Major Player

so this is it for premiere? i wish there was a different plugin so i could compare. we (editors) who use premiere need to have the ability to capture directly to the time line with out having to go through a pre render processes. who wants to wait around for pre renders and import. this in a way defeats the purpose of premiere pro 1.5.

oh well that life.

thanks for the input.
Old November 30th, 2004, 01:50 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Fortunately all your concerns will be addressed in future releases. However the time lag you are experiencing on capture is a matter of system performance. Aspect HD users with the JVC camera experience real-time capture and conversion (one pass)on 3.2GHz P4s. The Sony HDV camera has 68% more pixels so the transode time has increased, yet this can be overcome will a dual proc system if you wish (real-time capture from Sony HDV works fine on modern dual proc systems.) The problem all editors are facing is the sudden 4.5 increase in pixel count without a similar increase in CPU power. Something had to give -- that is why new workflows have been created to deal with the problem.

David Newman
CTO, CineForm
Old November 30th, 2004, 02:07 PM   #5
Major Player

i got a p4 3.2ghz
1gig ram
500 gig hdd (no raid)
ati 9600 pro 256mb ( dual monitors)

so whats the pc prereq's?.. for real time or near real time capture?
Old November 30th, 2004, 02:16 PM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

That is decent PC for editing with Aspect HD, and above our recommend system spec. As I said in the previous post a modern dual proc PC (Xeon or Opteron) will achieve RT capture conversion of 1080i, plus even more editing performance. This is not necessary for most users.
Old November 30th, 2004, 06:30 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Don't expect to just hit the ground running and edit just like you would DV. HDV is a new format that will take time to become widely supported and popular. The FX-1 is on the cutting edge of low cost HD.
Mike Tiffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 11:01 PM   #8
Major Player

wow thanks mike for the info i didn't need.

i am really lookin for some good suggestions that work. i have read that the jvc hd codec might work and the mainconcept hd codec as well might work. i am fishing for some clues on how to get this started.

thanks
Old December 12th, 2004, 10:54 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Mainconcept HD codec is great

It is very fast since it doesn't touch the unedited mpeg frames, it imports/exports from premiere and the preview works. It is also cheaper than Aspect HD. It is a no brainer for me.
I finally was able to forget about all that D-VHS utility thing. I have two 1394 devices a HD1 and a DVHS VCR. I can now import the clips directly from the HD1 like during the good DV days and export to the DVHS in order to preserve the resolution. Mainconcept is the way to go in my opinion!

Gabriele
Gabriele Sartori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2004, 11:31 AM   #10
Major Player

Joel, Mike is right. You need to see beyond your instantaneous need and understand that even Premiere Pro is being debugged as we write. Remember it's humble beginnings in version 4.2?
Perhaps I thought you would engage a little tact, I mean really ... you do have 74 posts on this board...
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions