Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 - Native Lossless Editing of ACHVD ? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 21st, 2009, 07:48 AM   #16
Inner Circle

I have Sony SR11 and XR500 so cannot speak for the Canon. However for the Sony's. Sony Motion Browser software that comes with the cameras will edit and write back to the cameras but slow. The best way of doing very simple cuts editing is to edit "in camera'. Back up everything to the PC so that you have a copy of the original. Then use in camera editing tools ( don't know if the Canon has these but the Sony's do) to divide clips at the edit points and delete the bits that are not necessary if you want. Then create a playlist in the camera of the clips. This can be copied to a memory stick from the hard drive for playback in camera or to the PC or to one of Sony's DVD writers that will make a DVD of the playlist. This a a real advantage of a camera with hard drive and flash memory.

Personally I use Vegas and either make a SD DVD for anyone to watch or a Bluray.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 01:27 PM   #17
New Boot

Cannon HF20 and PowerDirector8

I had similar ideas about using my Cannon HF20 for playback. I tried to edit in PowerDirector8 and then save back to the camera. Pixela would not recognize the PowerDirector8 AVCHD files, so I directly dropped them into the HF20 file structure. The HF20 did not recognize the video and place them on the screen for playback. I am now going to buy a Blu Ray for playback. My understanding is that I can can writet the Blu Ray formated file on a DVD for playback. This eliminates the cost of buying a Blu Ray player. Is this correct?
John Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 02:15 PM   #18
Inner Circle

No. Doing that only means you can avoid buying a Blu-Ray burner, not player. You still need a BD player to play back these files in HD. No regular DVD player will play back any form of HD file.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions