DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Apple CinemaHD Screens: Right for editing HD video? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/36613-apple-cinemahd-screens-right-editing-hd-video.html)

Scott Shuster December 19th, 2004 12:53 PM

Apple CinemaHD Screens: Right for editing HD video?

Thinking of buying the FX1 (who isn’t?!) but also thinking about my budget and wondering, “Hmm...are my displays up to the HD challenge?"

Right now we’re pretty dependent on the 23-inch “CinemaHD” screen from Apple.

Is this a high-definition screen just like the HD screens on spectacular display at Sony stores (for example)...or is there something ‘different’ — inferior? — about these “computer” screens?

I want to make certain that we are creating our HD products (from Final Cut Pro HD with add-ons) on a screen that shows us what our HD-equipped customers will be looking at. If the 23" Apple CinemaHD screen is not a true HD screen like consumers will be buying, we need to know that now.

Understand: I'm not making an accusation against the Apple screen -- I'm just wondering out loud and want to be certain about this as we budget for our HD future.

Many thanks,
Scott

Rhett Allen December 19th, 2004 01:29 PM

Yes the 23" and 30" are both true HD resolution monitors and some of the few true one's out there. Unlike some companies Apple doesn't typically classify things as HD if they aren't so you should be fine with it.

Scott Shuster December 19th, 2004 02:06 PM

that's great to know, Rhett --- thanks for the info -- what a relief!

Joe Carney December 19th, 2004 09:57 PM

I stopped at an Apple store in Tysons Corner mall and man was that new 30" cool. The funny thing was watching people having to pick up the mouse to reposition it when moving across the screen. The horizontal resolution (computer stylel, not video horizontal) was over 2K. Way cool.

On the other hand, Apples LCD moniters only support 400 to 1 contrast ratio which might be an issue for 8bit:4:2:2 video that traditionally uses a 700 to 1 contrast ratio.

Paul Mogg December 20th, 2004 10:35 AM

Many professionals out there are using the Apple 23 inch cinema display as an HD monitor, usually hooked up to an HDLink card, in preference to a CRT display. I think it came out recently that none of the CRT displays, even HD ones, are capable of displaying the full number of lines in an HD image, which came as a surpise to many. I'm currently editing a feature shot on the Varicam using it, so it should be good enough for the FX1.

Ronnie William December 24th, 2004 08:36 PM

i am using an 30in display and i must say its NICE - think im gonna add a 23" in the near future [wifey permits] - aw heck - im gonna do it anyway. -

Darren Kelly December 27th, 2004 07:40 PM

There is much discussion on your ability to correctly color correct with any LCD HD display.

While true, the Cinema Displays are mapping pixel for pixel, which many LCD's are not, it still doesn't give you the CRT color and definition.

I spent $2.3K on a B stock Ikegami, which you can find at Ikegami.com Theyhave B stock most of the time, and the prices are amazing. You will most likely spend the same amount as a 23 or 30 inch with the HDLink.

Just a suggestion

DBK