m2t playback - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old January 3rd, 2005, 06:15 PM   #16
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Kevin Shaw : <<< it'll be nice to sit back and watch 1080i as I do now, and know that on the other side of the World they're only watching 720p. >>>

Many people consider 720p to be a higher-quality format than 1080i, so don't be too glad that you're going to spend several more years (or decades) watching interlaced video. 720p at 60 frames per second would be the ideal solution, but it doesn't look like we're going to see that any time soon. -->>>

I was attempting sardonic humour over the EBU's failure to agree on HD DVB guidelines. The Australian experience indicates that broadcasters are more concerned about the cost of going 1080. And, yes; I'm aware of the 'mathematical' correlation of 720p 60fps to 1080i 30fps, but from my experience 1080i 50fps is superior to 720p 25fps, regardless of the maths.

What I don't understand about the EBU's vacillation, is that if they set 1080 as the 'goal' it shouldn't prohibit those who for whatever reason end up broadcasting 720. That is what has occured here in Australia, with some networks opting for 1080, while some have even gone to the lowest HD FTA standard of 720x576 or 'Extended Definition'.

It seems like Europe has still got a long way to go before it loses the centuries of ingrained distrust and animosity towards their neighbours. This is just another example of why the EU will never be able to compete as it hopes with the US, or any nation or economic block without any juvenile powerbroking sub-plot agendas.

Anyway, enough of the off topic stuff.....
For those who want to watch their m2t 1080i HD FX-1 material in appz other than VLC, I'd suggest you convert to Program Stream and see how you go in your favourite viewing app....
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 04:23 AM   #17
Major Player

Re: Re: concerning 720p (conspiracy theory)

to Steve Crisdale

Steve,

you are absolutelly righ. what i'm missing in this camera - is just progressive mode. nothing else.

since 1080i is just interlaced with really nice cine frame mimic, it's maybe not so crucial, bu anyhow i'm missing that real progressive look. that's it. but in another theory - sony will probably not go to 1080p since they have HDCAM line already, and will always say that hdv standard has nothing to do with 1080p-rogessive mode.

you are right - 1080 is proper way - why to go lower with 720? if the technology is already here.

and of cource in conspiracy theory everything is possible :)

all the best,

filip

p.s. but, as you say - enough off topic things in this thread. :)
Filip Kovcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 05:38 AM   #18
Major Player

Re: Re: Re: concerning 720p (conspiracy theory)

<<<-- Originally posted by Filip Kovcin : to Steve Crisdale

Steve,

you are absolutelly righ. what i'm missing in this camera - is just progressive mode. nothing else.

since 1080i is just interlaced with really nice cine frame mimic, it's maybe not so crucial, bu anyhow i'm missing that real progressive look. that's it. but in another theory - sony will probably not go to 1080p since they have HDCAM line already, and will always say that hdv standard has nothing to do with 1080p-rogessive mode.

you are right - 1080 is proper way - why to go lower with 720? if the technology is already here.

and of cource in conspiracy theory everything is possible :)

all the best,

filip

p.s. but, as you say - enough off topic things in this thread. :) -->>>

Ahh..... Conspiracy theories. Have you heard the one about.....mmm...well, never mind. There's a conspiracy theory for everything. There's even times I think God is a conspiracy theory.

But Sony being involved in a conspiracy theory!!? Of course it's likely Sony will conspire over something at some point for some bizarre purpose, but the 720p thing isn't one of them.

I'm sure you're worrying unduly about this aspect of HD video technology. There are lots of very, very good de-interlacers out there, and downsampling to 720p 50fps should give an excellent result.

OK, it means extra time between camera and product, but it's marginal whether that's any real gain over the benefits of shooting at the highest broadcast level currently available. This camera was designed to take advantage of consumer HDTVs and the fortunate co-incidence that the best HDTV FTA programming is 1080i (generally around the 12Mbit to 19Mbit mark). How many other cameras for under $20K give you that straight out of the camera?

I've de-interlaced my FX-1 stuff to 1080p 25fps program stream in Vegas, and not noticed any problems, or for that matter any change 'in feel'.

I hope 2005 brings a progressive HD camera that will satisfy your needs, but I'm certain Sony won't be making it.
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2005, 11:51 AM   #19
Major Player

Just to playback M2T files is less resource intensive than any other HD codec (WMV, AVI, etc).

I have a PIII laptap running a 1Ghz and I playback 1080i & 720p M2T clips with ZERO dropouts, stutters or anything else. It has 512Mb of RAM and an ATI Mobility Radeon with 32Mb of video RAM.

Editing is a beast in itself and does require slightly more than just playback, but I edit 720p HDV, WMV, M2T and a host of other formats just fine on my setup at home;

P4 2.4 Ghz (Intel Mobo)
640Mb PC 2700 RAM
7200 rpm HDD

My system at home stuters on 1080 WMV & AVI clips, but not 720P WMV & AVI clips.

Troy
Troy Lamont is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions