DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   How does the Microsoft wmvHD format look on a real HDTV? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/37246-how-does-microsoft-wmvhd-format-look-real-hdtv.html)

Brent Marks January 4th, 2005 01:42 AM

How does the Microsoft wmvHD format look on a real HDTV?

Has anyone tried this yet???

thanks

Steve Crisdale January 4th, 2005 03:04 AM

Re: How does the Microsoft wmvHD format look on a real HDTV?

<<<-- Originally posted by Brent Marks : Has anyone tried this yet???

thanks -->>>

Probably only people with an Avel Linkplayer 2 will be able to answer that question...

I've got a Roku 1000 which'll play HD mpeg2 but not wmv.....

Kevin Shaw January 4th, 2005 12:25 PM

Re: Re: How does the Microsoft wmvHD format look on a real HDTV?

<<<Probably only people with an Avel Linkplayer 2 will be able to answer that question...>>>

Or anyone with an "HTPC" connected to their HDTV. I was in Costco last week and saw WMV-HD samples being played on their smaller LCD HDTV screens, and that looked very nice. I couldn't tell how they were streaming the samples or what resolution and bit rate was used, but it was working.

I may have time next month to start experimenting with stuff like this, but haven't got all the necessary components yet. I can say that WMV-HD samples from the web encoded at a mere 5 Mbps look good on a computer monitor compared to typical DV/DVD footage, so I would expect to see the same when playing to an HDTV. And if you boost the bit rate 50% higher to 7.5 Mbps you should get a corresponding increase in quality, so even the 5 Mbps samples are arguably weak compared to what we can expect at DVD data rates.

Sean Woods January 4th, 2005 01:58 PM

If anyone is interested

A company in Germany has WM-HD DVDs that aren't sold here in the states. Features like Underworld, Italian Job, Gangs of New York, Tomb Raider, etc.

http://www.high-def.de/

I've heard folks have been able to buy them off Amazon.de so if you're looking for something different for WM9 other than T2 and what microsoft has to offer that might be the way to go.

David Kennett January 4th, 2005 03:36 PM

Brent,

I have a Samsung HLN 5065W 50" DLP with home theater PC. I did it to play m2t (HDV) files from my JVC HD10. I play those, as well as WMV and transport stream files captured from DVHS VCR. My connection is DVI, and the video board recognizes the 1280 x 720 res of the DLP. I think it looks better than the VGA connection on my regular PC - which of course has a much smaller monitor. To me it was well worth it. You need a powerhouse PC though!

George Ellis January 5th, 2005 12:57 PM

We setup a PC with a ATI X800 Pro using DVI into a 46" 1080 Iiyama LCD and ran the WMV-HD 1080p demo files. Just wow.

Working on setting that machine up again with XP Media Center Edition 2005 and an old Hauppauge TV tuner card. Still have those WMV-HD files and some MPEG HD content to test with :D

Dan Euritt January 5th, 2005 08:38 PM

my neighbor has the same samsung dlp, and the wmv-hd demos look pristine on it! and that's thru the external vga port of a laptop... the digital inputs to the tv would look even better.

Troy Lamont January 6th, 2005 11:39 AM

I have!

I have the HD1 and I've converted a lot of footage to WMV and it looks great!

I also have Terminator 2 in WMV 1080p format that looks spectacular as well as various other HD clips in WMV.

Troy

John Gaspain January 13th, 2005 10:43 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by George Ellis : We setup a PC with a ATI X800 Pro using DVI into a 46" 1080 Iiyama LCD and ran the WMV-HD 1080p demo files. Just wow.

Working on setting that machine up again with XP Media Center Edition 2005 and an old Hauppauge TV tuner card. Still have those WMV-HD files and some MPEG HD content to test with :D -->>>

Media center edition doesnt recognize Hauppauge cards as compatible hardware...Hauppauge doesnt make wdm drivers that are cross compatible.

If you must use Media cent edition- Try an ATI TV tuner card...matter of fact they have a new HD tuner card on the market now.

Oh yea- media center edition is a bloated piece of junk that serves no real purpose, its just MS trying to make a buck on all bases trying to incorporate TV on the PC- which is something ATI and Hauppauge have been doing for years. IMHO