DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Rendering movie in segments: format advice please (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/382765-rendering-movie-segments-format-advice-please.html)

Neil Grubb September 10th, 2009 01:15 PM

Rendering movie in segments: format advice please

I am working on a wildlife documentary using a relatively low budget system. I have recorded HD video using a Canon XL-H1A and, because of the memory constraints of my PC, am editing my footage into a series of eight four minute segments, rendering the segments, and then combining them in a new project to create the final movie.

My problem is this: I have completed the editing of each segment, but I'm not sure what MPEG format to save the segment in using Premiere Elements 4. When I save using the 'HD 1080i 25' MPEG format this produces m2t files - not the same format as the footage uploaded from the camera. The problem is that I cannot use either audio or video transitions to link the eight movie segments so I am stuck with the edit just now.

My question is - what format should I use to save my movie segments which will then allow me to do the final edit ? The only other options seems to be H.264 1080i 25.

Can anyone help ?

Thanks,

Neil

Neil Grubb September 12th, 2009 03:12 PM

I'm still stuck with this problem, and thought it might help to clarify the problem:

The footage is shot on a Canon XL-H1A camera and the video comes off the camera as a .mpeg file. My PC is slow and has 2GB memory and can't handle the whole 30 minute project. The PC becomes so slow as to be unuseable if I have too big a project. My project is made from numerous 5-20 second clips, so I am editing the project in sections, rendering and saving them, then creating a new project in which I assemble the sections together then burn to Blu-Ray. I have done this before for SD projects, where I saved the sections as DV-AVI files, stitched them together, then burned the project to DVD.

My problem is replicating this process in HD, without losing quality. I am using Premiere Elements 4. If I save the sections as DV-AVI they will be converted to SD. I have tried saving each of the sections in MPEG HD 1080i format before rendering the final movie as a new project but when the final movie was saved to Blu-Ray there was unacceptable loss of quality compared with the original footage. I think this must be because the movie is effectively re-encoded twice. I have started again and saved each sub project as 1080i MPEG files which are then assembled in a new project before saving to Blu-Ray. The project is rendering but will be an overnight job. I don't know whether this will be any better.

I know the ultimate answer is to use a PC which is capable of handling the entire project in one go, but this isn't an option for a few months. Can anyone advise how can I complete this two stage process while minimising quality loss ?

Thanks,

Neil

Adam Gold September 12th, 2009 05:48 PM

Two words, my friend: Vegas. Cineform.

Cineform's products were designed to help with exactly your situation: a PC that can't handle HDV. Vegas is known for having lower hardware requirements than many other editors, although probably not lower than PE4. Check out both forums right here at DVInfo and you'll have all the info you need.

I'd hesitate to send you over to Premiere Pro because of all the issues many people are having with the current release, and the fact that full Cineform support for the current release does not, as yet, exist.

But you're right, the real answer is to get a better PC. The RAM isn't your only issue, I'm guessing. Lots of advice on how to build a good economical PC to do what you want right here... read back a few threads to get some ideas.