Z1u + G5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old April 16th, 2005, 06:21 AM   #1
New Boot

Z1u + G5

Hi,
I have read that it is preferable to read through the various posts on this forum before posting a new message. I am unable to understand some of the jargon, and since I am short of time, I am posting this request.

Before I get to the questions, here's a brief intro.

What we do:
I am posting this on behalf of my dad, who makes music videos / musicals. Based on a theme, my dad composes a song, which is edited and created in a music studio. He also directs a movie based on the theme. The song and the movie are finally added to make the musical.

Equipment we use:
For the videos, we rent DV cameras @ $150 per day, and an editing table @ $10 per hour.

What we want to do:
We want to invest in a HDV camera and a computer for editing. We'd like to use the computer for audio editing as well.

Specifically, the Sony Z1U & a Mac G5. While we could consider a XL1S/XL2, we'd like to take the plunge into HDV. As for the G5, I am tired of Win2000 & XP crashes on my PC, and want something rock stable.

I have a few questions regarding this combination: Z1U + G5

1. I read that the Z1U is both a DV & a HDV camera. Is this true? I ask because local stations still accept DV, and I'm not sure if they are ready for HDV.

2. I also read that the Z1U is both PAL & NTSC compatible. Is this in both DV & HDV modes? Here in India, we have to use PAL.

3. G5: Is a Dual 1.8 ghz 1GB Ram G5 powerful enough for HDV editing? Does it have any compatibility issues with the Z1U?

4. Do I need any new hardware (cards) to edit on the G5? Or is it ready to go (to work) off the shelf?

5. Can I use my present monitor (17") at higher resolution to see HDV? Or do I need a HDV monitor?

6. Can I use windows-based editing software using Virtual PC?

7. Is the Final Cut Express a "lite" version of the Final Cut Pro? Similar for the FC HDV Express?

8. Any suggestions on NLE cards for the G5?

9. Any suggestions on editing software fo the G5?

10. Anyone know of Z1U training programs / classes in Simsbury, CT?

Thanks,
Ritesh
Bangalore, India
Ritesh Krishnamurthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 02:23 AM   #2
Regular Crew

1. Yes, Z1 is both a DV and HDV camera. Here is a page describing features of Z1 and how they're different from FX1.
2. According to the same page, Z1 shoots in both PAL and NTSC.
3. Dual 1.8 ghz PowerMac G5 is plenty to edit HDV, be it Final Cut Pro, Avid, or whatever editing software you prefer. Refer to the final cut pro page.
4. Yes, you can work with HDV straight off, since Macs dont need any additional PCI firewire cards.
5. You can sure watch HDV video on your 17" monitor, but that usually means that you're limited to the number of tools/monitors that you can fit on the screen. I'd say 19" is a minimum. + Optional external PAL video HD monitor. There's one Dell HD monitor for <$700 I saw on the board.
6. Using Virtual PC for video editing would be quite painful :). It's not That fast.
7. Yes, FC Express is a lite version of FCP.
8. Sorry, don't know about the NLE cards for macs, but it's all the same PCI slots as in PC, isnt it? So all the PC solutions should apply.
9. Not that much of a choice here - Final Cut Pro, Avid Xpress HD, iMovie HD =), maybe something like Lumiere HD which i've never used.
10. Dont know...
Dmitry Kichenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 09:36 PM   #3
New Boot

Hi Dmitry,
Thanks for the info :)

ritesh
Ritesh Krishnamurthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 01:37 AM   #4
Regular Crew

No problem :).
Dmitry Kichenko is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions