disadvantages of fx1 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old April 21st, 2005, 11:47 AM   #31
Trustee

Steven, you were right all along.

My "new" PC seems to be having problems feeding HDV video files off its RAID system. Weird, since I'm getting at least 65Mb/s sustained data read test results.

When I moved the whole project and its files off the RAID and onto another regular IDE drive, tada - PPro no longer quits, nor does it produce any errors. Go figure. I guess something isn't kosher in my "new, fast" PC's SCSI/RAID setup.

I now think that my problems with CAPTURE via HDLink on new PC were of the same exact nature. I don't have time to test-capture on IDE drive, but I'm 80% positive this will work fine.

So it's not a memory/processor problem per se, after all.

Thanks to Steven and everyone who helped!
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2005, 11:50 AM   #32
Trustee

Glad to help steer you in the right direction. I just want everyone to have as much fun with HDV as I am having.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 04:22 AM   #33
Regular Crew

What I don't like with my FX1 - The Viewfinder seems to show a sligthly smaller picture than the final record which can be a nuisance.

Richard
Richard Firnges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 07:59 AM   #34
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin
...I guess something isn't kosher in my "new, fast" PC's SCSI/RAID setup.

#1 issue with a misbahaving scsi raid is shared resources/PCI bandwidth. If you have a 64bit raid card in a 32bit slot, or your graphic's card/capture card is sharing resources with the array, etc.,etc.

Most folks run a disk speed test, getting good results, not realizing that the raid appears to be correct because it's the only thing running at the time of the test, as the test is done internally. Such a test only indicates that the raid is communicating properly with the disks. What you are experiencing is how the raid is working when other hardware/software is also hogging resources.

Pete
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 08:55 PM   #35
MPS Digital Studios

Richard,

Use a monitor, CRT (no flat panel), and even if it isn't HD, NTSC SD is better than nothing.

heath
Old June 5th, 2005, 11:27 PM   #36
Regular Crew

I have to admit that I am switching to manual focus more often with my fx1 than I do with my vx2000. But nothing compares to the autofocus problems I have encountered with the XL1's I have used - they are really touchy. Overall it is fine, but low light does create focus problems quickly and the fx1 is not good in low light compared to the vx2000 and this could be a problem for some event or wedding situations that will not allow additional lighting.

No capture problems for me yet in Vegas or Premiere.
I am worried about the 384K compressed orginal audio however, and it seems ashame that my vx2000 records better audio than the fx1.
Old June 10th, 2005, 04:36 PM   #37
Regular Crew

I shot two one hour shows twice with two cameras my FX-1 and a rented ZU-1, since it was a one man gig, I had to use autofocus. Much to my surprise the autofocus did a fantastic job - it misses occasionally, but itīs very reliable indeed.
In 8 hrs of footage, I estimate 4 minutes was out of focus, no problem working around it in post.
RED ONE #476
Eirik Tyrihjel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2005, 03:42 PM   #38
Trustee

Alex, you seem to have found the problem, but when you listed your specs you stated 400fsb. Did you mean to say 800fsb? I am asking because I had a friend running his 3gig p4 at 1.5gig for months and never noticed.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions