A Simpleton's Question: Optimum Workflow from Z1 to SD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old May 19th, 2005, 12:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A Simpleton's Question: Optimum Workflow from Z1 to SD

I've managed to read so much that I'm now on the verge of confusion and panic. Here is the bottom line:

I'm shooting a series of four 2-3 minute spots. My primary acquisition is via a Z1, but sometimes it's booked and I use a Panny DVX100a, usually in 24p mode. The final format will be 16x9 (letterboxed) SD for broadcast.

I have a G5 running FCP Express HD and FCP4 HD. (FCP Production Suite upgrade is on order. :) ) We have the Sony HDV deck and even a Kona/AJA setup for capturing, though I was planning on just using firewire since those aformentioned pieces of equipment are not easily accessible and usually tied up. (I do have a firewire drive I could use though to capture there and bring to my machine.)

I'm not worried about ever having an HD version of these spots. I just need SD and happen to be using the Z1 for my acquisition.

How should I capture? Should I go for the Kona/AJA setup? Since I'm downconverting to SD, is importing to AIC via firewire good enough?

Sorry to be so obtuse. I searched and could not find advice for this particular scenario; most was geared towards people wanting to end up in HD.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Mark Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You have two options. Downconvert in camera and capture as SD ( DV ) over 1394 or capture as HDV over 1394 into a SD project. Being a PC guy I have no idea if this is possible with FCP on the Mac but works just fine with Edius Pro3 on the PC. I have used my FXq in HDV mode with DV camera in two camera shoot. Started a standard DV project in Edius and import both the DV and HDV clips and output in DV.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 08:43 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans
Downconvert in camera and capture as SD ( DV ) over 1394
Hmmm. Downconvert the HDV on the fly as it plays back over 1394? Guess I'll have to get the manual out for that one -- didn't realize you could do that.

FCP-XHD won't let me capture into anything but an HDV preset. I imported some stuff yesterday and then used compressor to export a letterboxed MPEG-2 for DVD. It looked pretty good, certainly good enough for what I need. Looks like my workflow will be to edit in HDV (mixing in that SD from the Panny), then doing a final render out in SD. Thanks for the input, Ron!
Mark Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:18 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Both Z1 and FX1 have a menu settup that prescribes what gets output fromt he 1394. Either automatic ( you get whats on the tape) HDV or DV. IF the tape is HDv and DV is selected then the camera downconverts. The Z1 also has the option of center cut( 4x3) out for DV. I have the FX1 so do not know which menu holds this center cut option.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:27 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Very cool! I'm curious to compare quality of the in-camera convert vs. importing as HDV and downconverting later. If possible, I'll try a test. Thanks Ron!
Mark Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions