*.m2t on a MAC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old June 1st, 2005, 08:54 AM   #1
Major Player

*.m2t on a MAC

I have some HDV footage I've sold, and use a PC with Premiere Pro 1.5.1 with a demo of AspectHD.

The clients want the footage on either HDV tape, or on DVD-ROM. Since it's only 5 minutes of footage, it's signficantly cheaper for me to transfer the file on DVD. Here's the catch: as digitized data they want it as a "*.mov" file.

Since I'm on PC, I don't have it as a *.mov, but rather as a *.m2t. What I wanted to know is, if I just rename the *.m2t to *.mov, will it play properly on a MAC equipped to handle MPEG-2 transport streams? Or does Apple use some proprietary packaging that will provent an *.m2t from playing?

Has anyone with a Mac downloaded a *.m2t from the web, and played it back properly in Quicktime? I don't have the Quicktime MPEG-2 plugin - so I can't test it.

-Steve
Steven White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 09:17 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Steven,

Quicktime does not play m2t files directly. It will play m2v files but the m2t files need to be demuxed to create those. There are a number of utilities that do this.
Bryan Suthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 09:22 AM   #3
Major Player

Hm. How do you get an uncompressed HDV to play on a mac in a *.mov package then?

-Steve
Old June 1st, 2005, 09:28 AM   #4
Regular Crew

My solution to view the M2T files directly is to use VLC (Video Lan Client) instead of quicktime - www.videolan.org. Uncompressed MOV files are unplayable on my Mac which is a dual 1Gig but VLC does well. Perhaps your client can use VLC to play the files instead of Quicktime. It is multiplatform also. You may want to give it a try. It is free.
Bryan Suthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 09:03 AM   #5
Wrangler

Viewing the files in VLC is probably besides the point. I'd think they want quicktime format so they can EDIT the material, not just watch.

I'd see if I could find a DVCPROHD codec on the PC, and encode to that.

I think your only REAL option is to give them the .m2t and tell them how to convert it to QT on their own machine. Or give them the tape.

Be careful what you promise in these early days of HDV, it will be easy to screw up jobs.
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 11:41 AM   #6
Major Player

Good news! They say the *.m2t will be fine. Hooray!

-Steve
Old June 5th, 2005, 08:31 PM   #7
Regular Crew

FWIW, MPEG Streamclip can open a .m2t file and transcode to any and all flavors of Quicktime goodness. And it's free. Check it out at:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...treamclip.html

EDIT: And I am a total idiot, as it says in post #1 that you are not a Mac. *slaps head*

Last edited by Mark Ross; June 5th, 2005 at 10:52 PM. Reason: idiocy
Mark Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions