starting editing on Powerbook with 4.5. No more money! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old June 11th, 2005, 06:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

starting editing on Powerbook with 4.5. No more money!

Hey guys I want to start editing on my beffed up powerbook. I have final cut 4.5 and a firewire and nothing else. Im looking to edit without spending any more money. or very very little to edit on this. What should I bee doing to follow this plan. I dont care what unmoral actions I must take to get software! please help !
Kyle Fasanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2005, 07:09 PM   #2
Wrangler

Unfortunately Kyle, we do care about what immoral (and illegal) actions you might take.... But if you already have the powerbook and FCP then you should be good to go. I assume you have a camcorder? You can connect that via firewire to capture your footage, and also connect it to a monitor or TV as an external screen.

The only other thing you're going to want is an external firewire drive. Bad idea to put your capture and render files on the internal drive, and you will quickly run out of space.

Aside from that, you should be good to go!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2005, 07:12 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Well, you could try just working with FCP without any other fancy plugins or whatever and explore how much you can do that way, which would likely keep you busy for quite a while and result in some perfectly fine videos. Posting on these forums implying that you'd like help locating bootleg software is not a good idea -- if you really want that just do a web search or check any of the dozens of spam emails offering suspiciously cheap software.

Good luck with your video endeavors. Try to keep it legitimate.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2005, 12:34 PM   #4
Regular Crew

alright thanks guys. I was just hoping you might know of some freeware that works well. Il contine posting and keep everything leagal as possible with my income.
Kyle Fasanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2005, 02:23 PM   #5
Wrangler

There are a few shareware things you can download, and they have fully functional demo modes (that will periodically remind you to register, or possible not work with large files, etc):

http://www.joesfilters.com/
Terrific package of filters which do many useful and fun things

http://www.bensoftware.com/btvpro.html
Turns you powerbook into a full screen monitor, hard disk recorder, time lapse recorder, waveform monitor and more.

http://www.mattias.nu/plugins/
More useful filters and effects.

http://www.synthetic-ap.com/downloads/index.html
Several things, including demos of their applications. I like Test Pattern Maker, which generates several handy patterns. Unfortunately you'll have to run it in Classic mode, however once you've saved the test pattern files you don't need to run the program again.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 09:34 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Fasanella
alright thanks guys. I was just hoping you might know of some freeware that works well. Il contine posting and keep everything leagal as possible with my income.
Klye, be careful about what you post. In todays world email, posts in public forums, and other forms of electronic publication are now considered legal evidence -just as if you signed a handwritten letter in ink. Problem is that unlike a physical letter, the electronic format cannot be destroyed as easily. The investigative agencies just love this stuff, as it makes their jobs so much easier.

Just think before you press "send/submit"

Back on the subject: It's best that you fully learn all the limitations of the applications base install before heading off to plugin world. You'll save time and money by getting exactly what you need.

Pete
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions