Frame Rate Confusion - Keeping native 60i at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old June 17th, 2005, 02:36 PM   #1
New Boot

Frame Rate Confusion - Keeping native 60i

I am working on a workflow for a FX1 to a soon to be purchased HDTV with the same resolution.
Ideally I would like to use Premiere 1.51 to do basic editting, AFX only for compositing or fine tuning if needed, then render either to WMV or HDV on tape or SD depending. I have an AveLink so it has been WMV, but now we are buying a HDTV so I want to export HDV back to tape for the FX1 as we will be plugging this into various HDTVs

My concern is with frame rate. When exporting HDV from the FX1 to PPro 1.51, the closest option to 60i is the Aspect HD 1440x1080 30i setting (which I have been told is the same as 60i). When I look at the project settings however, even the clip properties I see that they all basically say they are 29.97 fps. But I want 60i!

How can I get native HDV with correct resolution out of PRemier? I currently have copy pasted the 30i video from PRemier into a AFX Comp with 59.94 to be rendered to AVI to plug back into PPRO but then in PPRO this would be going to the same 30i project, so its a little redundant...

I want to keep the highest possible color space and resolution, for a 1080 HDTV. I am already concerned about the anamorphic scaling in PRemiere as there is no 1920 x 1080 option available. And does it even have to be interlaced or should I make it progressive?

This is the last of my worries, (funny its the native part) while I have worked out all the other compressions and outputs (WMV and SD).

Great thread I have followed, but the workflow Steve White suggests is a little confusing:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=45165

Any help is appreciated!

Brooks
Brooks Hargreaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 02:57 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks Hargreaves
even the clip properties I see that they all basically say they are 29.97 fps. But I want 60i!
Can't help with Premiere, but 29.97 is 60i (drop frame). Each frame consists of two interlaced fields.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 03:23 PM   #3
New Boot

Native 60i

Thanks for the reply,

I understand that 60i is 29.97. I found that I can create a project in PRemier that has a 60 fps or 59.94 fps timebase. When working with 60i footage should I be in 60 or 59.94 fps timebase? or keep this 29.97 fps as televisions in NTSC are usually this fps. It gets a little confusing.

Almost there!

Brooks
Brooks Hargreaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 06:03 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

CineForm tries to refer to frames per second not field per second. This way 30i vs 30p actually makes sense. In this terminology there is no 60i, yet there is a 60p. 30i (or your 60i) has a 29.97 timebase to be correct. Naming aside, 30i is the standard 1080 HD interlaced frame rate that complies with all expected standards.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions