Rendering as progressive from a Z1. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old October 18th, 2009, 03:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Rendering as progressive from a Z1.

Hello!

I'm looking to get a new camera and have my heart set on the Sony HVR-Z1. The only 'downside' is that it doesn't shoot in progressive. Is it perfectly acceptable to export as progressive when exporting through Premiere Pro CS4/Media Encoder even though the camera doesn't shoot in progressive?

Sorry if this question sounds stupid to the rest of you, but i'm new and only just getting used to it! Also, any advice about the best export settings for a DVD would be very much appreciated!

Thanks a lot,
Ollie
Ollie James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 08:45 AM   #2
Trustee

Ollie... No worries. We've all tread on this path.

If you're shooting 1080i and want to output 1080p what will happen is that you'll end up throwing away half of the lines of resolution. You cannot simply combine the odd and even fields as they are not recorded at the same time. Combining the odd and even fieldss would result in the dreaded "mice teeth".

Recommending DVD output settings is a bit dodgy since there are different "best" options depending upon how you shot your footage. It's best to match your output format to the footage as shot or edited. For example, if you shot 1080i and want to create an SD DVD, you'll want to deinterlace and down sample to SD res. Use a template for an SD progressive DVD format.

In NTSC land, all SD DVDs are 29.97i. If I shoot 24p or 30p, the DVD will physically be 29.97i with some pulldowns and tricks employed so that the footage is displayed in 24 or 30p. Not sure about what happens with PAL, but if the same metric is applied there is would be 25i, but you should check the spec to be sure.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 10:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi There,

Thank you very much for your reply!

Ahh right I see... So - how would I go about exporting the 1080i footage so I don't get the interlacing lines? (Sorry for another novice question!).

I'll do a bit of research about the UK PAL DVDs.

Thanks.
Ollie James is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions