lost: wich is best exporting format for dvd and blueray at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old October 21st, 2009, 11:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

lost: wich is best exporting format for dvd and blueray

hi,

I have filmed quiet a lot of hdv footage on my canon xh A1 but never exported any of it. so far..so no experience here whatsoever concerning HD
mostly I film in hdv 25 F so I was wondering what are the best export possibilties here?
I work with premiere proCS4

can I put an .m2t file like I capture it on a dvd? what should be the best quality result for exporting to DVD. is it the H.264 codec? which field lower/upper/none?
Its not possible to show HD on dvd? in some way if I keep the file small?

what would be the best format/codec to put HDV on DVD?

thanks

Last edited by Terwingen Niels; October 21st, 2009 at 03:24 PM.
Terwingen Niels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 07:36 PM   #2
Trustee

I've read on this list that you can put BD video on DVD, and in fact I've done it. Sort of. It will create the disk and I can go through the menus and it will start the playback but then it stutters. I think there's a limit on the maximum data rate. I haven't looked further into it but if you search the list you might get this answered.

The h.264 codec is more efficient than MPEG2 but both give good results. I don't remember which I used with the DVD but I think both will work.

You'll want to keep the output upper field first. You could also deinterlace, but that will lower the resolution. If you deinterlace, you may as well output at 720 instead of 1080. The look will be very much the same.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 08:47 PM   #3
Trustee

Just to clarify, yes you can put BD footage on a DVD .... but you can't play it on a DVD player. You can play it on your computer, PS3, and on some (but not all) Blu-Ray players.

On a DVD destined for a hardware DVD player, the best you can do is 720x576 MPEG2 at a bitrate of around 8000kbs. Anything larger, or higher bitrate, exceeds DVD specifications.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions